Retrospect not copying all files with new script.

My backup host is a G4 running 10.2.2, Retrospect V. 5.0.238. A problem client is a G4 running 10.2.5 and has client v. 5.0.536.

I have been having a problem whereby all files in a new, normal backup have not been copied. Yesterday , I backed up two clients

using new script and new tape. I browsed both clients before proceeding with an unattended backup. This morning I checked the

log and found that the first client was successful in that all files had been backed up. The problem client was not. Only 72k files of

a browsed total of 223k files were copied. Immediately, I browsed again and found 223k files. Needing a correct backup, I initiated

a new script/tape for this client. I noted that the initial scan showed the correct number of files and this number is also the "remaining"

files to be copied. The procedure is working correctly.

In the last couple of months this has happened several times on other clients. On one I installed client v. 5.0.540 and the same

problem occurred. Is there anyone who might have an idea?

thanks, Jim

Are you sure Retrospect isn't doing what it is supposed to, which is matching files that need to be backed up on the current client against files that are the same on other clients (and already on the tape)? This ratio sounds right around what I would expect for clients further down a backup list. If there were only two clients, and they were running the exact same OS, then the first one would back up everything, but the second one would back up only files that weren't on the first client. In particular, it wouldn't back up any of the common OS files, common application files, etc. Mind you, Retrospect is fully aware of all the files that were on that second client and can pull them off the tape to rebuild it no matter when they were put on the tape. It just doesn't write them to the tape more than once.

Next time you are doing a new backup, look at the list of selected files it is planning to backup. A check mark means a file needs to be backed up, but a diamond next to it means that it already exists in the backup set and so it won't be written again, even if there is a check mark saying it needs to be backed up.

Archived