out of memory error and no auto script startup

I'm having two separate problems with Retrospect. I'm running 5.0.238 and Jaguar 10.2.4 on a G4 with a 933 MHz CPU. I have a Powerdomain 39160 SCSI adaper with an APS Tech AI2 U2W tape drive. The computer has 768 MB of ram and 2 80 GB hard disks. I'm also trying to back up several other G4s on the network with a similar configuration.

First of all, since I upgraded to Jaguar, Retrospect fails to automatically run when it's time to do a backup. I tried changing the preference file to turn auto back up off, then reboot, then turn it back on and reboot as suggested here http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27803. This did absolutely nothing except waste my time. How do I get Retrospect to autorun for unattended back ups?

Second of all, I had this problem before I upgraded to Jaguar from 10.1, but it still persists. Some of the volumes that are scheduled to be backed up fail with out of memory messages. One of the messages is absolutely ridiculous considering the machine has 768MB of RAM

Scanning incomplete, error -24062 (limited to 256 MB of RAM).

How do I fix this limit? I'm not running any other major programs while the back up is running. Other times the error message I get is the following

Scanning incomplete, error -108 (not enough memory).

By the way, some of the volumes back up without a problem.

I tried deleting the Retrospect Preferences files and starting over. This didn't help. I've reinstalled Retrospect and that didn't help either.

The disks I'm trying to backup are fairly full 80GB disks, so admittedly there are a lot of files. But if I was only dealing with a little bit of data I wouldn't need Retrospect, I would just copy it to a DVD-R or something.

Please help me. I've wasted months trying to get this working.

Thanks,

Nathan

Quote:

First of all, since I upgraded to Jaguar, Retrospect fails to automatically run when it's time to do a backup.

Is the retrorun process running when Retrospect isn't auto-launching as scheduled? Use the Process Viewer application to see if it's running.

If retrorun is _not_ running, did you do a clean re-installation of 5.0.238? Trash the old version of the application before running the installer...

You might try trashing "/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/retrorunfile" and then re-launching Retrospect.

>>Some of the volumes that are scheduled to be backed up fail with out of memory messages.

Are these client volumes? Please describe the clients.

OK. RetroRun was not running. I dropped the Retrospect application in the trash. Then I reinstalled. Now RetroRun is running and last night the backup started automatically. One problem down, one to go.

I still have the out of memory problem. How do I force Retrospect to use all the RAM? This problem doesn't really make any sense. With 768 MB of RAM and at least 20 GB free on the Retrospect partition, I should have enough RAM + virtual memory to handle any size backup. What is going on here?

I'm experiencing the same issue with some of my 10.2.4 & 10.2.5 clients (server is on 9.2.2).

I was able to finally get a workaround by defining subvolumes on the client.

e.g. volume - Macintosh HD - -108 error

subvolume - /Users - -108 error

subvolume - /Users/Shanna - worked

I speculate that Retrospect has some issue reading the directories on 10.2.4+. Perhaps it can't identify the end of the directory.

Quote:

I'm experiencing the same issue with some of my 10.2.4 & 10.2.5 clients (server is on 9.2.2).

It seems reasonable to get memory errors in Mac OS 9 when attempting to handle the sheer number of files that can be present on an OS X machine. Applying the usual Classic Mac tricks to increase memory available to an application might help here. Scanning fewer files also apparently worked for you.

But the original poster's problem happened when running Retrospect on Mac OS X, which uses paged virtual memory that _should_ avoid such errors. I'm stumped as to why that's happening.

Dave

I'm still having the out of memory error on two of my seven volumes. The other volumes backup with no problem. Defining sub-volumes is not an acceptable solution because these disks contain constantly changing data and I would have to redefine subvolumes every week.

Is this a known bug in Retrospect? What is the status on fixing it? I've seen quite a few people complain about this problem on this forum, but no one from Retrospect seems to have helped any of them.

Please help me. I've wasted a lot of time on this. It's getting to the point where I'm searching for a more reliable backup software solution. Any suggestions?

Quote:

Defining sub-volumes is not an acceptable solution because these disks contain constantly changing data and I would have to redefine subvolumes every week.

But it would be an acceptable trouble shooting tool, to help you discover if there's a particular directory that's causing the problem. Given that it's reproducable for you each time, you're in the best position to at least _try_ some things to isolate the cause of the issue.

>>I've seen quite a few people complain about this problem on this forum,

>>but no one from Retrospect seems to have helped any of them.

In the thread at

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Desktopworkgrupx&Number=22625

the user said he was successful by moving some folders around. If you use subvolumes to isolate the problem to some extent (perhaps start by trying to backup the most populated, non-system directory, such as /Users/) you might be in a better position to try something similar.

You should also turn on Retrospect File System Logging, which is available in the Secret Preferences dialog box; hold the Option key down while selecting Special->Preferences, and go to the Flie System item.

Dave

Quote:

Quote:

It seems reasonable to get memory errors in Mac OS 9 when attempting to handle the sheer number of files that can be present on an OS X machine. Applying the usual Classic Mac tricks to increase memory available to an application might help here. Scanning fewer files also apparently worked for you.

But the original poster's problem happened when running Retrospect on Mac OS X, which uses paged virtual memory that _should_ avoid such errors. I'm stumped as to why that's happening.

Dave

I don't think insufficient memory in 9.2.2 was the issue. I upped the memory on the 9.2.2 server to 36 MB with no change in symptoms. It would consistently choke after scanning 50-60k files, whereas successful backups occurred on other 10.2.4 clients with over 120k files. This appears to be specific to individual clients. Running the osx disk repair utility and Norton disk doctor on the affected machines showed no problems and made no difference in the behavior.

Archived