cannot run restore unattended?

Running Server 5.0.238 under OS 10.2.4.

When I attempt to run an immediate restore, I cannot change from Run Interactively to Run Unattended.

This has always been a sore point - you have to wait while tapes are searched before you can even get to the Run menu - but under OS 9 you could eventually change to unattended and then walk away.

Under OS X, every time I try to change the Run mode, it waits for a while and then asks for the admin password (sometimes in a dialog underneath other windows, thank you very much). After entering the password, it resumes but DOES NOT change to Unattended no matter how many times I try. This is BAD!!!

Any suggestions?

Quote:

Under OS X, every time I try to change the Run mode, it waits for a while and then asks for the admin password (sometimes in a dialog underneath other windows, thank you very much). After entering the password, it resumes but DOES NOT change to Unattended no matter how many times I try.

It doesn't happen to me that way. What are the exact steps you're doing?

Here's what I tried:

- Immediate Backup of Files/Folders from a File Backup Set

- Retrospect matches Backup Set to Destination (short process for File/Folder backup, can be much longer if it's matching existing files in a Replace Entire Disk operation)

- Select Files for Restore

- Click "Restore"

- Arror cursor chages to the gear cursor; this means it's running Interactively.

- Click on Run menu, select "Run Unattended"

- Cursor changes to checkerboard; this means it's running Unattended

- At this point, if you click anywhere (within Retrospect) again, Retrospect will prompt for a password (if your security settings are the default of "always require authentication"). This is as it should be.

- If you leave it alone it will time out and continue Unattended. If you enter your password you will be back to Interactive.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

You were right. I just didn't realize that every time I went back to the Run menu (and re-authenticating), it was putting me back into interactive mode (unlike OS9).

Still, I wish we could set the mode before executing the command - or even better, set a default preference - since waiting for the tape to read before letting you select a menu is quite awkward.

Quote:

Still, I wish we could set the mode before executing the command - or even better, set a default preference - since waiting for the tape to read before letting you select a menu is quite awkward.

What sort of Restore are you doing? Entire disk, or just Files and folders?

You could Schedule the Restore, and run it from the Run menu.

- For Files and folders, first setup the Immediate Restore.

- Select the files you want, then "Save highlights" from the Browser menu

- Name this selector; you can rename the same name each time; Retrospect doesn't seem to care about overwriting an existing selector name (maybe a bug?).

- Then select "Schedule" from the Script menu, and name a new script.

- When the script opens, change "Selecting" from "file name contains anything" to more choices and then Include->Selectors->your_selector.

- Save and run from Run menu.

I don't know if this will work for your workflow; it's just an idea...

Dave

Archived