Using Retrospect to migrate files/programs to new TiBook?

I am the lucky recipient of a new TiBook (G4/1ghz 15.2"). My current system is a G4/500 TiBook. I was wondering if Retrospect can be used to migrate files/programs from my current system to my new system? I've restored restrospect backups to new hard drives, but never to new systems. Here is my plan:

Boot the new system using an external firewire hard drive.

Connect the two systems via cross over ethernet cable

Duplicate the old system to the new system using Retrospect, making sure "ignore permissions on this drive" is unchecked.

Boot the new system using the included install cd

Install or restore the operating system

Reboot and cross my fingers.

Any other ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Quote:

Here is my plan

Although you haven't given explicit steps, it sounds to me that what you're planning is going to fail to give you what you're looking for.

"Connect the two systems via cross over ethernet cable" implies you're going to use Sharing to access the remote drive. This will be a problem, as files copied over AFP or SMB do not retain permissions on the remote device.

A better plan would be to use Target Disk Mode of one of the Powerbooks, and connect them via FireWire instead of Ethernet.

Steps:

- Boot the new Powerbook while holding the "T" key; note the FireWire icon screensaver.

- Make sure your old Powerbook has been updated to 10.2.4 with all pending updates.

- Connect the new Powerbook to the old machine that you're going to copy. Watch the new Powerbook's hard drive mount on the old Powerbooks' Desktop.

- Use Disk Utility to partition or erase the new drive however you want.

- Confirm that "Ignore Permissions" is not set for the new, erased volume you intend to use.

- Use Retrospect to Duplicate the internal boot drive (Source) to the mounted FireWire external drive (Destination).

- Unmoumt the FireWire drive; press the power button on the new TiBook to turn it off, disconnect the FireWire cable and then boot it up.

The above steps _should_ work, unless for some reason the new TiBook requires system software that isn't present on an up-to-date old TiBook.

Archived