Backup set question; full backup daily

jmengel

Amy,

Thanks for the reply!

If I set it for a "Recycle Backup," and rotate the media (sometimes with a new CD-RW and sometimes with a previously used CD-RW disk)...as long as I say "Yes" every time it asks me if I'm SURE I want to erase everything... that should work, right?

Since Retrospect will think that I only really have one CD-RW disk with backup information, and I'll really have many, will I run into problems if I have to do a Restore operation from a disk other than the most recent backup? I think Retrospect keeps a database of recent backups...so, in this case, it might be wrong. Can I just put in one of the older backups and have it read the backup into the database catalog before doing the restore?

Thanks.

jmengel

Quote:

If I set it for a "Recycle Backup," and rotate the media (sometimes with a new CD-RW and sometimes with a previously used CD-RW disk)...as long as I say "Yes" every time it asks me if I'm SURE I want to erase everything... that should work, right?

Yes - that will work. However...(see below)

Quote:

Since Retrospect will think that I only really have one CD-RW disk with backup information, and I'll really have many, will I run into problems if I have to do a Restore operation from a disk other than the most recent backup?

Yes - while you can rebuild the catalog for the old discs, should you need to restore, it is not possible to have two catalogs with the same name - which can make things messy and confussing. If you plan on keeping the old discs, you should use a New Media backup - this will allow you to keep the catalog for each saved disc (backup set).

Archived