Error -1028 on unattended but NOT on immediate backups

I have several Mac clients running OS10.2.2 or greater (and one windows client) all with newest client software version, all backed up to tape using a Mac running OS10.2.4. All clients can be seen, configured, and backed up immediately with no problem. All but one of the Macs, however, usually (but not always) fail with -1028 error when the backup is attempted by unattended script.

I cannot figure out why I can do a backup manually but not unattended! Any help would be appreciated.

esadler

I really wish someone would address this issue. I have asked the forum about it twice, and never had a reply. It is NOT related to machines going to sleep, as far as I can tell. I have all machines configured never to spin down their disks. Only the monitors sleep, and computers with sleeping monitors CAN be backed up immediately.

Again, any clues would be much appreciated.

esadler

Quote:

I have several Mac clients running OS10.2.2 or greater (and one windows client) all with newest client software version, all backed up to tape using a Mac running OS10.2.4. All clients can be seen, configured, and backed up immediately with no problem. All but one of the Macs, however, usually (but not always) fail with -1028 error when the backup is attempted by unattended script.

I cannot figure out why I can do a backup manually but not unattended! Any help would be appreciated.

esadler

Quote:

Again, any clues would be much appreciated

By us as well!

- What have you already tried?

- What is the exact wording of the -1028 error?

- If you run the script from the Run menu does it fail?

- If you create a working Immediate Backup, Schedule that from the Script menu, then run that script from the Run menu, does it fail?

Quote:

By us as well!

--reassuring that I'm not alone. I became aware of the problem when I changed the backup server to OSX, so I am concerned that the problem is somehow specific to OSX.

A: Very basic steps: making sure Retrospect port is open, disc sleep disabled, consistent TCP setting, reinstall all backup software on host and clients.

A: Can't access backup client [client name], error -1028 (client is not visible on network).

A: I haven't tried recently so am not sure. Will do so after next failure. If I do manual immediate backup the morning after failure it does work.

- If you create a working Immediate Backup, Schedule that from the Script menu, then run that script from the Run menu, does it fail?

A: haven't tried yet.

Thanks for the reply.

esadler

Quote:

A: Very basic steps: making sure Retrospect port is open, disc sleep disabled, consistent TCP setting, reinstall all backup software on host and clients.

A: Can't access backup client [client name], error -1028 (client is not visible on network).

What do you mean by "disc sleep disabled"? Does this mean you have unchecked the "Put hard disk to sleep when possible" in the Energy Saver pane? But presumably the computer is still allowed to sleep?

This sounds like the clients are sleeping when the unattended backup rolls around. A sleeping hard disk is not a problem, but a sleeping computer (under Mac OS X) is. Try changing Energy Saver to put the client computer to sleep "Never" but go ahead and allow the disk to sleep. See if this solves the problem.

Quote:

Quote:

What do you mean by "disc sleep disabled"? Does this mean you have unchecked the "Put hard disk to sleep when possible" in the Energy Saver pane? But presumably the computer is still allowed to sleep?

This sounds like the clients are sleeping when the unattended backup rolls around. A sleeping hard disk is not a problem, but a sleeping computer (under Mac OS X) is. Try changing Energy Saver to put the client computer to sleep "Never" but go ahead and allow the disk to sleep. See if this solves the problem.

I have all the computers and disks set to "Never" sleep. Only the display is allowed to sleep. Nevertheless, they cannot be found reliably by retrospect when run from a script.

esadler

Quote:

they cannot be found reliably by retrospect when run from a script.

Come on, you have to do your part before you can expect help from others!

A: I haven't tried recently so am not sure. Will do so after next failure. If I do manual immediate backup the morning after failure it does work.

Why wait? It's just a test, and you can do it anytime. Select the script from the run menu. Retrospect will then be in Unattended Mode, the same as if the script had launched from its Scheduler. Does it find the clien(s)?

A: haven't tried yet

Have you tried this one yet? Setup an Immediate Backup that you confirm works. With the Immediate Backu window open, select "Schedule..." from the Script menu, and name this new Script. Then selectt the new script from the Run menu. Did it work for Immediate and fail for Script?

The idea here is to try and find out what's failing, but that will take some effort at your end.

Quote:

Quote:

they cannot be found reliably by retrospect when run from a script.

Come on, you have to do your part before you can expect help from others!

A: I was out of town last week. A more important obstacle to troubleshooting this problem, however, is that behavior is not reproducible. It appears that I can always find a client manually, but the unattended script fails to find one or more clients only sometimes. So success in a trial means nothing. Only failure can be interpreted, but failure is inconsistent. This is basically why I can't just go and try something and get a useful result instantly.

For example, on 4/2 the script "Backups" worked fine - all clients found and backed up to tape. But the followup script "Duplicate Catalogs" failed to find a client that had been found just fine only a couple of hours before. (The latter script just copies the backup sets from the server to a client folder as insurance in case the main server fails.)

On 4/1, the script "Backups" failed to find one Mac and one PC, and the script "Duplicate Catalogs" also failed to find its target

On 3/27, the script "Backups" failed to find one Mac and one PC, but the script "Duplicate Catalogs" did find it's target, which was a client that "Backups" failed to find a little earlier.

On other dates, the set of computers not found differs. Sometimes it's all the Macs, sometimes none, sometimes a subset and not always the same subset. Usually, if any clients are not found, the PC is one of them, but there are exceptions.

So, any particular attempt may fail or succeed, making logical troubleshooting impossible.

Here are the results of trials today:

A: Ran "Backups" from run menu - all clients found and backed up to tape successfully, except the PC. Immediately after script completion, however, I "found" the client and could configure it through the Configure > Clients dialogue.

A: I then did Immediate Backup of the PC, which worked. (In general, once the lost client is found manually, any backup run either immediately or by script then works.) I then saved/named the script and ran it from the run menu and it worked again. However, as mentioned above, the problems are intermittent and this result (all success) cannot be interpreted.

esadler

Archived