Can't add a new media in my storageset

Hi,

We use Retrospect 5 on MacOS 9.2.2 French. We use CD-R as support.

Since 2003, we have a new Device (External CD-RW Lite-on LTR-52246S FireWire) ... and we can't add a new media in our storageset.

Message (in french) : L'élément CD-R ne peut être ajouté au jeu de sauvegarde choisi. Il est trop différent des autres membres de ce jeu".

Message "the element CD-R cannot be added to the selected storageset. It is too different from the other members".

Please ... HELP !!!

confused.gif

The backup set is damaged. You will not be able to append to this backup set but you can retrieve all files from it. Create a new set or do a recycle backup (if CD-RW media) to this set if you wish to start over. The media is not damaged but the backup set is damaged such that Retrospect cannot append to it.

Thank you for the answer. But it is not the case, the backup set is not damaged.

I already tried to restore storageset from original CD, but i still have the same problem. It seems that Retrospect thinks that the new support (CD-R) are not the same, and refuses to continue. For us, it is a BIG problem. We have made backup with retrospect for soon 10 years !!!

Is it possible that Retrospect thinks that the Device does not employ the same type of CD-R ? Which is the solution to continue with our current storagesets?

confused.gif

Lite-on LTR-52246S FireWire - What is the vendor name on the case? Who makes this drive?

Lite-On makes the internal hardware - but there will be another vendor name on the package.

What happens when you make new backup sets? Can you create a new set and span CD's?

What make/model drive were these CD's originally created with? How old was the drive?

>> Lite-on LTR-52246S FireWire - What is the vendor name on the case?

LaCie d2 CD-RW Drive 52x24x52

>> What happens when you make new backup sets? Can you create a new set and span CD's?

If i creat a new set with the new LaCie Drive, it's OK. The problem is only with the "old" sets (created with Retrospect 4 or/and 5 and the "old" Drive).

>> What make/model drive were these CD's originally created with? How old was the drive?

It was also an LaCie d2 external Drive, but slower (6x4x16x). CD-RW external Drive SCSI. And I always use same CD-R ...

frown.gif

• 5 months later...

I have the exact same problem. I started my set using the internal Lite-On drive, then added an external LaCie Lite-On 52246S drive. Here is the catch: when the disk is rejected by the external drive, I can put it in my internal drive. Where it works fine. I can manually stop the backup, then put the disk in the external drive, and continue to back up!

The problem solely seems to be at the beginning of the backup process, when it first reads the disk. Once the disk has been intialized by the (internal) drive, it works fine in both mechanisms.

Mac DP 800, System 9.2.2,

Well...perhaps I have solved my problem! After reading the other posts I wondered if it was possible that Retrospect was confused, and thought my CDR media was a CD-RW or DVD media. This could possibly explain the "too different error message."

I went to the extensions folder, to the "Authoring Support" folder, and removed all the enclosed items except the LiteOnCDR, to help Retrospect narrow it's possible drive options.

I rebooted the Mac, relaunched Retrospect, and it worked perfectly, letting me add new members with no problem at all. I have done this twice now, with no errors or problems.

I have not yet tested my other applications yet (Toast, et al), but this is at least a temporary work around for Retrospect. I hope this will also inform the engineers at Retrospect as to how to fix the issue.

Archived