Full Backup to CD-RW, rotating bi-weekly (Is my understanding correct?)

jmengel

I'm assisting a small business with their backup solution, and have no experience with Retrospect. They are using Retrospect Express v5.6. I have read quite a few tutorials and forum posts, and want to make sure I understand this correctly.

What they want:

*** A Full (not incremental) backup to one CD-RW disk every night (5 days/week).

[The amount of data to be backed up will fit on one disk (140 MB).]

*** 10 disks in the rotation.

*** To Start the backup manually, but not have to do anything very complicated each night (like manually erasing a CD-RW or creating/forgetting a backup set).

What I think will work: (This is the question- please check my logic/understanding.)

*** Create a backup set called "Backup Set A".

*** Configure Backup Set A to do a "Recycle" backup.

*** Provide them with a set of blank CD-RWs.

*** Run the first backup myself, making sure the correct directory is selected.

*** After that, they should be able to start the backup every night, insert the next CD-RW, choose to start the backup, and everything should work fine. When the start recycling CD-RWs, the program should accept that without a problem and erase the CD-RW before performing the backup. Right?

Another related question: They have a few CD-RWs that were backed up using another backup set name. When I erase one of the CD-RWs and try to use it for another backup set (I did not assign a name), it wouldn't work, since the name wasn't as expected. Do you think that I did the erase incorrectly, or is there something else I missed?

Thank you very much for any assistance you can offer.

jmengel

Archived