CD-RW and not CD-R with HP drive

I am having an interesting problem using Retrospect 6 (with the latest hw udpate) trying to write to CD-R media.

I have read in the forum about all (or most) CD-RW drives supporting CD-R media. I two HP drives (an 8100 and 9100) that do not support CD-R media, but support CD-RW. We replaced one with an LG CD-RW (because it was sitting around) drive and it does support CD-R. But we first tried a brand new (not on the HW support list) Lite-on which also only supported CD-RW.

I need to purchase a drive to replace the HP 8100 and would like to make sure it supports CD-R. I have just browsed the hardward list (for the 50th time), but can't decide which drive to get because they don't list CD-R compatibility. Is anyone using one of the newer e.g. 40x drives to write CD-R? Is there a recommended drive to write CD-R media? I believe the ones specifically listed for CD-R media in the hw support list are older (slower) drives.

Thanks,

Brian

The 8100 and the 9100 both support CD-R and CD-RW media in Retrospect. Any drive that has CD-RW capability and is qualified will support both media types unless explicitly stated otherwise in the device notes for that drive. Off the top of my head I can't think of any supported drives for Windows that support CD-RW, but not CD-R.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply, but that's not the answer I was expecting. These drives definitely work with all kinds of CD-R writing software but not in Retrospect. I have too much time into these drives trying to get them to work, a swapped out drive solved the problem on the first machine we had this problem with.

Could Retrospect have a problem writing to one CD drive and not another in the same computer? Especially when the CD-R functionality works with every other problem we have tried.

Regardless, since I can't spend hours of my customer's (or my) time to figure this out, I have marked the HP drives off my compatibility list. Is there a recommended drive (or just a newer one someone has working) to write CD-R media?

Thanks,

Brian

Archived