couldn't be prebound in the past, and probably can't be prebound now

What do these messages I find in my system log mean?

Mar 19 07:30:09 xxx /usr/libexec/fix_prebinding: /Applications/Retrospect Client/Retrospect Client.app/Contents/Resources/retropds.22 could not be launched prebound.

Mar 19 07:30:10 xxx /usr/libexec/fix_prebinding: /Applications/Retrospect Client/Retrospect Client.app/Contents/Resources/retropds.22 couldn't be prebound in the past, and probably can't be prebound now.

-Chuck-

Quote:

What do these messages I find in my system log mean?

It means that the system can't launch the pitond process prebound, so it binds it during launch.

This effects the time it takes to launch.

it doesn't take much time at all to launch pitond, so there's really not much to worry about.

Much has changed in OS X since it was first shipped; Dantz seemes to be doing pretty well in adjusting to Apple's changes, but they're always going to be playing catch-up to changes in the OS.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Amy,

Currently we have a client who is using an Xserve 1.33 1 Ghz running Mac OS 10.2.5 server and we are still getting the prebinding messages. Any ideas why?

When we installed this setup, we copied the preferences from Mac OS 9 directly into Mac OS X. Is there anything wrong with doing that?

-----

May 6 11:41:13 FileServer /usr/libexec/fix_prebinding: /Library/StartupItems/RetroRun/RetroRun could not be launched prebound.

May 6 11:41:29 FileServer /usr/libexec/fix_prebinding: redo_prebinding on /Library/StartupItems/RetroRun/RetroRun:prebinding can't be redone for: /Library/StartupItems/RetroRun/RetroRun (for architecture ppc) because larger updated load commands do not fit (the program must be relinked).

Amy,

Thanks for the quick reply. Not to my knowledge. They had only one copy installed on their internal HD on their old server (Appleshare IP 6.22). When we installed the new server, we installed a fresh copy of 5.0238 on Xserve's internal HD. The only thing we copied was the preferences.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Archived