Miscompare, bad backup header with Yamaha FW CD-RW

I just did a backup of my Users directory with Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.238, RDU 3.4, and a Yamaha Firewire 16/10/40 CD-RW. I am using MacOS X 10.2.4. The Apple System Profiler lists my CD-RW as a Yamaha, Product name CRW-2100IX, Product ID CRW-2100E. The Retrospect Config Device "Device Status", however, lists no vendor, no product or version, and Driver Yamaha CD_RW (5.01). I believe that in former days, this window showed more info for this drive. I am using TDK 40X CD-R's. This particular backup was to a new CD-R backup set, and spanned 1 full CD-R plus 18 MB of the second one.

When the backup completed, I got the following in the log:

? Retrospect version 5.0.238

launched at 3/17/2003 10:12 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.4.103

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 3/17/2003 10:13 PM

To backup set Backup Set Users?

- 3/17/2003 10:13:24 PM: Copying Users on Mac_OS_X?

3/17/2003 10:22:54 PM: Comparing Users on Mac_OS_X?

File ?Chimera.dmg?: miscompare at data offset 14,877,224, path: ?Users/admin/Chimera.dmg?.

File ?PGPersonalUserMan.pdf?: miscompare at data offset 2,363,938, path: ?Users/admin/Power-Guardian/PGPersonalUserMan.pdf?.

Bad backup set header found (0x5717d86d at 83,300).

File ?SecurityUpdate7-12-02.pax.gz?: miscompare at data offset 433,672, path: ?Users/admin/SecurityUpdate7-12-02.pkg/Contents/Resources/SecurityUpdate7-12-02.pax.gz?.

File ?com.apple.preferencepanes.cache?: miscompare at data offset 174,883, path: ?Users/katie/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache?.

File ?015.ps?: miscompare at data offset 315,299, path: ?Users/wagner/Documents/Conservation_Laws_Preprints/015.ps?.

Decompression failed due to corrupt input data

File ?Transaction Summary July02 - Jan03.xls?: miscompare at data offset 366,668, path: ?Users/wagner/Documents/Excel Docs/Vietnamese Ministry/Transaction Summary July02 - Jan03.xls?.

Decompression failed due to corrupt input data

File ?texmf.tar.bz2?: miscompare at data offset 3,413,891, path: ?Users/wagner/Documents/texmf.ii2/texmf.tar.bz2?.

File ?02 For Free.mp3?: miscompare at data offset 4,651,423, path: ?Users/wagner/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Joni Mitchell/Ladies Of The Canyon (Remastered)/02 For Free.mp3?.

3/17/2003 10:32:01 PM: 11 execution errors.

Remaining: 1 files, 4943 KB

Completed: 7752 files, 791.5 MB, with 15% compression

Performance: 101.3 MB/minute (100.3 copy, 102.3 compare)

Duration: 00:18:37 (00:02:57 idle/loading/preparing)

Why should I be getting all these errors? Is this drive no longer supported?

David Wagner

After making copies of all files to be backed up, Retrospect goes back to the source and rereads each file and compares it to the corresponding file read from the backup media. If they are not identical, Retrospect displays an error.

Retrospect will try to copy any files that don't verify during the next normal backup to this backup set.

If the error is a different modify date or time (such as "File 'Home.html': different modify date/time.") then the file was most likely modified or saved between the original backup pass and the compare pass. The file will be recopied at the next backup.

Verification errors which mention data or resource offsets (such as "File 'Bore Dimensions': didn't compare at data offset 263 078" or "File 'Port Flow specs': didn't compare at resource offset 731 429") usually indicate problems with the communications bus.

The drive is supported. However, you indicated that there is no information for this drive under Device Status (Vendor, Product and Version)? Try temporarily removing the Retrospect folder from System > Preferences to see if the problem goes away. Try the drive on another computer with Retrospect.

Amy wrote:

Quote:

The drive is supported. However, you indicated that there is no information for this drive under Device Status (Vendor, Product and Version)? Try temporarily removing the Retrospect folder from System > Preferences to see if the problem goes away. Try the drive on another computer with Retrospect.

I tried moving /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/, re-starting the computer, and starting Retrospect with the default configuration. I got the same lack of information in the Device Status window: it just says, Firewire-A (blanks) and for driver, Yamaha CD-RW (5.01). The ASP device display shows a lot more:

Product name: CRW2100IX

Product Identification: CRW2100E

Vendor ID YAMAHA

Product Revision Level 1.0N.

I have yet to try the drive on another computer. I can take it to work and try that, but it will take a while.

David Wagner

I bought a $20 3-port firewire PCI card from OWC, and installed it in my B&W G3-450. Now I don't get any more miscompare errors, bad backup headers, or date/resource offset errors, with the same Yamaha CD-RW. So, it seems that the problem had to do with the firewire ports on the B&W G3. Maybe they aren't supported by Retrospect anymore, under Jaguar.

Amy, thank you for your suggestion about the communications bus. That was the clue that made me think of getting the firewire pci card.

David Wagner

Archived