cdr or cdrw disks

mccannsrus

Should I use cdr or cdrw disks?

If you want to reuse the disks, you should use CD-RW, otherwise CD-R is fine (and cheaper).

After that, I plan on creating a disaster recovery disk. Do I only have to make a backup of my hard drive once?

You need to make a complete backup of your hard drive before you can create a Disaster Recovery CD. From that point, you can do 'Normal' backups of your data - which will incremental copy (append) the new and changed data to the end of your existing backup set.

• 2 weeks later...

I broke down and bought v6.0, even though I already own (the expensive) v5.15, so I could use my new TDK veloCD drive. Retrospect wants a CD-RW disk to configure. I don't have a CD-RW disk on hand (I have CD-Rs). Please tell me I will be able to use CD-R after I Configure.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, CD-RW disks are EXTREMELY unreliable, for ANY application. I think they are good for temporary storage of easily replaceable files only. If you rely on them for backup, you will come to regret it sooner or later. Stick with CD-R, which are (somewhat) better.

Archived