Will a corrupt Windows XP Master File Table be cured, or restored corrupt after HD Re-Format?

jimhoy

Background:

I am running Windows XP Home Edition, and have the NTFS file system. Norton Disk Doctor (NDD) and Windows XP's Chkdsk report problems with Security Descriptors and/or the Master File Table (MFT). After running them to fix the problems, and they report the problems are fixed, the same problems are usually reported the next time the programs are run.

Symantec's (NDD is one of their products) Knowledge Base Document 199821912520 states that if this is the case, the MFT is probably corrupt beyond repair, and recommends reformatting the drive (and re-installing XP and all software). I am inclined to believe there is such a problem, as I've also had problems with certain settings that I make to the file system that work properly for a short time, and then work incorrectly for no apparent reason, and other similar issues.

The question I have regarding Retrospect 6.0 is:

If I reformat the hard drive and re-install Windows XP, can I then use a current full backup (or a full backup with all its progressive backups) and restore my system back to its current state without corrupting the MFT in the process? --Or will Retrospect end up restoring the corrupt MFT also? confused.gif

I had a similar situation. Both Chkdsk and Norton Disk Doctor were reporting problems with the Security Descriptors and/or the MFT. After a lot of investigating (Norton Protected Recycle Bin helped) I found that a couple of files in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS folder were updated every minute or so. It looked to me like Chkdsk and NDD would indicate the problems if the files were updated while these 2 programs were running. To make a long story a little shorter (also I don't remember what exactly made me look there), in Norton Antivirus 2003 options (installed by Norton SystemWorks 2003), in the Instant Messenger section I removed the checkmark for MSN Instant Messenger. Ever since both Chkdsk and NDD do not report anymore problems.

I suppose that if you do not have Norton Antivirus 2003 this does not apply to you.

Thanks for the comment, Fuzzy.

I do have Norton SystemWorks 2003, so I followed your advice and unchecked MSN Instant Messenger in the Norton Antivirus 2003 options. For me, it made no difference.

Perhaps the following information may be useful. Via Symantec email support, I received these suggestions:

--------------------------------------------------------

To resolve the issue I suggest you to follow the instructions provided in the link below:

Title: 'Security Descriptors Status: Corrective acitions. . .not written to disk" after running Norton Disk Doctor'

Document ID: 2001071909390509

> Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nunt.nsf/docid/2001071909390509?Open&src=w

I also suggest you to follow the steps provided in the link below:

Title: 'Norton Disk Doctor is unable to fix metadata files: MFT, indexes, and security descriptors'

Document ID: 199821912520

> Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nunt.nsf/docid/199821912520?Open&src=w

Symantec Authorized Technical Support

----------------------------------------------------------------

Needless to say, I am very frustrated with the prospect that the Master File Table is likely corrupted. In my case, I suspect the MFT really is corrupted, because several different things are not working right on my system. Examples are:

In the taskbar, hidden inactive icons end up having the wrong icon associated with the name that should belong to it, and some of them just disappear.

I have applications that crash a couple of times a week, and not always the same ones.

etc.

I've tried many things advised in Microsoft and Dell Knowledge Base articles. Nothing solves the problem, and all indications lead me back to believe I have to reformat the hard drive, reinstall Windows XP and everything else.

I'm doubly frustrated mad.gif due to the idea that I can't trust Retrospect to restore my computer if it has a corrupted MFT. I contacted Dantz Technical Support, and was told that it was likely that if the MFT is corrupted, if I have Retrospect restore my files, it will likely restore the corrupted MFT also, because under most circumstances (hard drive crash, etc.), it is desirable that EVERY file, including the MFT be restored. That's been one of Retrospect's strong points, which is that it restores you right back to where you were as of the most recent backup. --At least until the advent of NTFS (see below). The Master File Table is one file you just can't omit during a full restore, either.

It appears also that NTFS is a challenge to Dantz.

For example, there's the VERY UPSETTING thread titled "Incorrectly restoring short names", dated 12/30/02 at 04:20 AM. If you read that thread, you find that RETROSPECT 6 CANNOT BE RELIED ON TO RESTORE AN NTFS FILE SYSTEM!!

And it costs a flat fee of $69.95 per incident for telephone support!! --Which is about the only option I have left with Dantz under these circumstances. --And this is over half the purchase price of the product itself!! --And I pay this "up front", even if they end up not being able to restore my system!!!!!!

I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do with this. I have a LOT of software on my sysem, and the thought of restoring all this from the original media is disgusting beyond description!

The MFT is metadata that is backed up in the snapshot along with the Registry. It is not possible to selectively choose which metadata to restore (or not restore). However, if you've been using Normal (incremental) backups, you can restore from any point in time from which you backed up. If you know when your system started to have problems, pick a snapshot prior to that date for the restore of the drive. You can always use a later snapshot to selectively restore your data files.

That's very helpful insight, Amy. Thanks! smile.gif

I don't know when the problem began. However:

The last time I rebuilt my system via hard drive format and re-install of XP and all software, I took a full Retrospect backup of the system immediately after Windows XP was installed. Then after I re-taylored all my XP specific settings, I did a progressive backup. The same after I re-created my user accounts and then again after I taylored them.

--So at least, I've gotten smarter...

Then I took frequent progressive backups from then on, so perhaps I can find when the problem began, using the method you suggest.

The ability to restore to any point in time IS A COOL FEATURE OF RETROSPECT that I don't believe many Retrospect customers fully understand.

I'm still VERY CONCERNED about trusting Retrospect 6 to restore my computer properly after reading the thread titled "Incorrectly restoring short names", dated 12/30/02 at 04:20 AM!!

I've decided that before I wipe out my system and begin the restore process, in addition to my Retrospect backups, I'm going to also do a full backup with Windows XP's backup software, and perhaps another with StompInc's Backup My PC, which I used prior to Retrospect.

I hear myself sounding paranoid here, but it won't take long to take these backups, and then if Retrospect doesn't restore properly, these options will be available.

Thanks again for your insight, Amy!

Archived