How to restore a Win 2K client from Mac 5.0.238 server?

bleslie

I've got the 6.0 client running on my Windows 2000 clients and I'm using the Mac OS 9 version of the server 5.0.238. I have run the registry copy feature on all the Windows clients as per the manual.

I had to completely restore a Win2K box and I followed the instructions in the manual including installing Win2K into a "WINTEMP" folder and then replacing all corresponding files and folders. Then replacing the registry backup. We are on a Windows Domain here so once I had the IT guy setup the machine on the domain again I couldn't login to the same username as before. The user folder was there in the "users" folder but it created a new folder. All the files were available but 90% of the applications would NOT launch.

Is there a better way to do a complete restore? Can I do a live restore without installing Win2K into a temp folder using Retrospect Server running on a Mac? Thanks.

Brian

Quote:

Then replacing the registry backup. We are on a Windows Domain here so once I had the IT guy setup the machine on the domain again I couldn't login to the same username as before. The user folder was there in the "users" folder but it created a new folder.

How was the system running _before_ the IT dept. set up the computer on the domain again? Did you try rebooting after the restore and checking your programs? Your domain user folder and data would have been restored in the full system restore. I'm not sure what was done to set you up on the domain again - but creating another account wouldn't automatically transfer your old files.

Archived