Retrospect 5 Server to backup OS 10.2 servers to a SNAP server via FTP is unhappy.

Anyone have experience using Retrospect 5 Server to backup OS 10.2 servers to a SNAP server via FTP? Retrospect seems to use the built in FTP client of OS X, which leads to my situation. I am running into an oddity where both the OS X and SNAP servers are BSD based and both like file permissions. Everything put on the SNAP server is owed by the local SNAP user 'root' and local group 'wheel' in UNIX land. When I FTP from an OS X client into the SNAP as an administrative account that has read/write permissions to the whole shebang, I am still restricted by the BSD permissions (even if I authenticate to the SNAP with its 'root' user). If I FTP in from every other client I have (OS 9, Win2k, WinXP, Redhat, Mandrake) I do not run into the permissions. Grrr. The only way around these permission restrictions that I have found is to FTP into the SNAP as any admin user while being logged into my OS 10.2 server as the user 'root' so the permissions work right. I don't like the idea of using the root account on my OS X servers. Does anyone have ideas on how to tell OS X to ignore the file privileges on the FTP mount (or better yet, how to get my SNAP box to not enforce them for the FTP protocol with OS X boxes? SNAP http://www.snapappliance.com/ wasn't much help after I mentioned the words "OS X".) I can't really use Retrospect if I have no where to put my backups. The FTP backups seem to work when using a linux or windows FTP server, but they don't have 240GB of RAID 5 like the SNAP 4100. I have some Guardian 4400s on the way that are linux based, so the problem might go away, but I really want to know if I am the only shmoe out there that has run into this.

Joe Samek

k-12 education computer tech

Quote:

I am running into an oddity where both the OS X and SNAP servers are BSD based and both like file permissions. Everything put on the SNAP server is owed by the local SNAP user 'root' and local group 'wheel' in UNIX land.

Trying an FTP backup with an OS X 10.2.3 Server machine (which certainly is the same flavor of BSD as the OS X machine from which I'm running Retrospect) I find that the files on the server ("0-data," "1-data," "2-data" etc) are owned by the server user account I used when I configured the Internet Backup Set.

What exactly are you doing?

Dave

Archived