Error using Yamaha CRW-F1

ironmike

I get this whenever I try to do a backup (never in the same place however). Just curious if anyone knows what it means? First time using Retrospect on brand new system/drive:

Additional error information for device "Yamaha CD-RW" [0:0],

Sense > 70 00 04 ae 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 00 00

(YAMAHA |CRW-F1E |1.0d)

Trouble writing: "1-Reload backup 3-11-03" (0), error -203 (hardware failure)

I can write music cd's, etc. using other software, so I'm wondering if this is particular to backing up.

I run Win XP Pro with Retrospect 5.6.132 (with Yamaha patch to recognize this drive).

Thanks.

Error 203 - Hardware Failure

The backup device is having problems because of a bad medium, a communication problem, or a mechanical error. If the error occurs only when you use a particular medium, that medium is probably damaged. Try using a new medium. If the error occurs when you use any medium, you may have a problem with your device.

Try another brand of CD, such as Sony, TDK or Verbatim. If other brands work, then your drive may be picky in regards to media type.

Sense code is error messaging that is generated by the drive itself and can typically only be interpreted by the hardware vendor.

Hardware failure is a straight-forward error (some are ambiguous)-- the hardware is failing on some level.

Archived