Disaster Recovery in XP

mengel

I am running Retrospect Express 5.6132 and had to replace my hard drive because it was posting errors. I did a full backup and created a disaster recovery cd prior to replacement. I installed the new hard drive and used the disaster recovery CD to reload a temporary windows installation to the hard drive. The PC rebooted and went right to the retrospect disaster recovery restore wizard. It saw the backup I had just done, I selected it and told it to restore the C: drive. It then appeared to start but then came back with an error saying it could not do the restore. I opened the log file and it said that no CD-R backup devices could be found on my system. I then selected the option for retrospect to scan for devices. The scan showed both my DVD drive and my CD-RW drivce in the list but still said it could not find any devices. Can anyone tell me what is going on?

If an extra Retrospect Driver Update was required to use your CD drive, the file may not have been included on the Disaster Recovery CD. If this is the case, the work around is to have the RDU available on a floppy, network drive, or other medium. When the system boots into DR mode, quit Retrospect and copy the Retrospect Driver Update file to the Retrospect application folder on the hard drive. Restart the computer and Disaster Recovery will begin again. This behavior was changed in our current release, 6.0, so that RDU files are included on the Disaster Recovery CD.

Archived