Hello,

We have recently hit a 1 terabyte limit. It appears that a Retrospect catalog set can not be any larger than 1 Terabyte.

Is there a way for me to back-up more than a Terabyte of data to a catalog. I am not trying to back up one large file. I do nightly incremental back-ups to a stoage set. I have an LTO tape drive that has a library of 7 LTO tapes. I have the tape capacity and ability to span from one LTO tape to the next automatically.

Retrospect has severd me well for years. It works, its easy to use and it has been very reliable.

but....... I need to back-up my expanding server. Is there a work around or a planned upgrade? I plan to get a new Apple xRaid and have over 2 Terabytes online. How will I be able to back that up with a 1 Terabyte limit?

Thanks,

FrozenTundra

Dantz is deeply in development on a new version for the Macintosh, which includes some great new features. Because of the huge project involved in lifting the 1TB limit, that feature will not be in our next release.

In the meantime, you can segment your data between backup sets with subvolumes and/or selectors.

Quote:

I plan to get a new Apple xRaid and have over 2 Terabytes online. How will I be able to back that up with a 1 Terabyte limit?

Depending on how you configure your RAID you can easily backup all your data to multiple catalogs instead of trying to fit it all into one (limited) place.

If you partition the RAID into multiple logical volumes, configure one Backup Set with some of the volumes and another Backup Set with the rest. Use both Backup Sets in your scripts, and let Retrospect run each on whatever schedule you set. Your loader can handle tapes for multiple Backup Sets; Retrospect will load the correct tape when it's needed.

If/when you exceed 2 Terabytes of actul data you can segment things farther and use 3 Backup Sets.

Dave

The problem with this is two fold.

1 If I have to create multiple volumes then I lose the advantage of having a single drive. I wll have production staff checking to see which volume a job belongs too. This may seem like a minor point, but this scenario loses some off the effeciency of a single volume. Certainly ther will also be file duplication because of multiple volumes. If files are duplicated there will ineveidably be a wrong file picked up and version problems which will cost time and money.

2 The number of tapes my auto loader holds is 7. If I have to break the RAID into multiple volumes I will not be able to have redundant tapes sets online at the same time we will have to manage the tape sets on a daily basis. I have been able to have a neqarly unatteneded tape bak-up system since I bought the autoloader. Advancing echnology in one area should not cause another area to move backward.

Retrospect is great but the Terabyte limit needs to be addressed.

Later

FrozenTundra

Archived