Having a restore problem -- what is it?

Backup server: G4/533 320M RAM 10.2.4

SCSI card: Adaptec 21960 with current (1.2) driver

Quantum DLT drive.

Retrospect Workgroup 5.0238

Problem: I'm trying to restore 3G of assorted files from a crashed PC to another PC over the network and it stops at a "rewinding" state each time

The restore goes through tape 1 and restores the few files on that tape.

Asks for tape 2. This goes fine.

Asks for tape 3. Restores the files from tape 3.

then starts "Rewinding". the progress bar stops at "rewinding". The tape rewound (apparently), but the system is just sitting with the "two spinning gears" apparently still trying to "rewind".

I've rebooted the system twice and had the same thing happen at the same exact spot attempting another restore.

Is this a problem with

1) The SCSI connection (the 29160 is a "supported" card now)?

2) The DLT drive (which I've been using with no problems in combination with #1)

3) "Tape 3"?

4) Retrospect (some RAM issue or something?)

Something else?

I'm stuck here. I can't restore the users files...

help!

ACK!

I tried this morning with a *second* set of tapes.

I'm getting the restore not proceeding at "Rewinding" again!

What's going on?

Is this a 10.2.4 issue?

If so, I can revert, but can somebody try to verify that it's possible to do a multi-tape restore with 10.2.4?

Forgot to mention: the log gives me an "error 102 (trouble communicating)" issue repeatedly.

If 10.2.4 busted the SCSI support for the Adaptec 29160 card with the 1.2 driver, can somebody on your end find this out and let us know?

Anything on this from anybody?

I keep getting stuck at "rewinding..." when trying to restore certain directories to the client.

I'm able to restore other directories fine (which used *all* the tapes in my set.)

but I'm stuck at reproducable problems with other directories: some files will restore, then the "Rewinding..." comes up, the tape seems to rewind, but the program doesn't do anything else from that point on...

Archived