Execution of script stopped by one failure

Configure

Execution

Unattended

Enable Launcher checked

Automatically Launch checked

then

1. run any backup script, and press pause as soon as it is available

2. under the top "Control" menu, select "Just Log Errors" (yours is probably "Stop on Errors" now).

Dantz T/S showed me this control menu under job execution - in my opinion, I think these options should be available in the job script options on a per-job basis, and without having to run the job to access them. They're system-wide now, meaning if you select to proceed on errors, it applies to all backup scripts that are run until you change the option.

• 1 month later...

Dantz,

This fix isn't sufficient in Multiserver 6.0. Whether I run interactive or unattended, Retrospect still stops on errors (even though it's set to just log errors).

For example: If I choose to backup a Windows XP Pro workstation or a Windows 2000 Pro and if at any point during the backup phase that workstation becomes unavailable before it has been completely backed up; Retrospect stops. If it can't scan a system running Retrospect Client that is slated for backup, it halts.

How can I tell retrospect to just keep moving through the backup script regardless of errors; and then just report the errors to me at the end?

Quote:

This fix isn't sufficient in Multiserver 6.0. Whether I run interactive or unattended, Retrospect still stops on errors (even though it's set to just log errors).

Without any additional information, it is not possible to address your issue. When referring to error messages it is important to list the error message(s). Information about your configuration is also helpful in these situations - Server OS, backup device, etc.

This is the type of error that I see commonly that causes the backup script to stop:

$[*20750] File "$[1]E:\MSSQL\DATA\WebBoardData.DAT$[2]": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

$[*20750] File "$[1]E:\MSSQL\DATA\WebBoardLog.DAT$[2]": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

That is a SQL database file that it can't read. The SQL db is version 6.5 running WinNT. I'm using the Retrospect Client for the backup (instead of a network share).

The fact that it merely can not read a file should not cause the entire backup script to halt, but it does.

Just now I was running an interactive script that just hung with the message "Immediate Backup ran with errors on 4/29/2993 5:27pm"

- 4/29/2003 5:27:14 PM: Copying OS (C:) on IRONWEB01

4/29/2003 5:27:14 PM: Connected to IRONWEB01

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\Logs\01282003.Log": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\demoadmin\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012003033120030407\index.dat": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\demoadmin\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012003041720030418\index.dat": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\demoadmin\Recent\ex020410.log.lnk": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\demoadmin\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012003033120030407\": can't read security information, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\demoadmin\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012003041720030418\": can't read security information, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

4/29/2003 6:23:26 PM: Snapshot stored, 22.0 MB

4/29/2003 6:23:34 PM: 6 execution errors

Remaining: 4 files, 66 KB

Completed: 14013 files, 2.1 GB

Performance: 40.2 MB/minute

Duration: 00:56:14 (00:00:25 idle/loading/preparing)

There are several clients behind this one (ironweb01) that were not backed up because retrospect has stopped.

I just accidentally reproduced a case that stops the backup that is a good example for this post.

Setup an immediate backup of the "Backup Clients container" and insure that at least two client are in the container.

Initiate the backup...

As the first client is being scanned, reboot it client and/or just use the retrospect client tool to stop the retrospect client. Retrospect multiserver immediately states that it can't scan the client, and then the entire backup process halts (instead of moving on to the second client).

I have a ton of clients scheduled for backup. If the multiserver can not scan one client, it should just skip it and move on to the others (and move it to the end of the list and schedule a retry once everything else has been backed up). In ANY case where the multiserver and backup device is functioning properly (IE it can access the tape device), it should skip all errors regarding it's inability to backup something and just move on to the next task: even if this results in it skipping every single client or source group; it should at the very least log the fact that it could not backup "X" client (in such a way that I can email that event to myself) and then move on to the next item. If it can't backup anything, the log should be filled with errors/attempts to backup everything listed in Sources; not merely stop at the first failure.

This is -another- show stopper. I've had this multiserver for more than a month now and have not yet succeeded in a complete backup because of this.

Current showstoppers are:

1) Multiserver will not use my autoloader to find new media when the first tape in its set is full. Post here

2) Multiserver stops when it can't scan a client, instead of skipping the client and moving on to everything else in it's Sources. <This Post>

Dantz, please respond. Please let me know that these will be addressed in your next release. As I sit right now, if these two items are not resolved, your product is useless to me.

Quote:

If the multiserver can not scan one client, it should just skip it and move on to the others (and move it to the end of the list and schedule a retry once everything else has been backed up).

That's correct - you should see an error 519 in your log when this happens. So how does it 'halt' in your environment? Does the script quit? Is there something on the screen? Are there any error messages? What additional information can you provide about this "halt?

Retrospect pops up a message stating that it could not scan or access the client device. When I click on [ok], it throws me back to the initial backup list (that displays the source group, destination, etc...), and does not proceed. This is for an immediate backup. Whether I choose interactive or not, once it hits that client, it just stops and behaves as though it never even started.

Archived