help needed - media unrecognized after backup

vizbad1

I recently purchased Backup v6.0 for windows and backed up my entire system using simplecrypt, software compression, and verification on. I then changed a file and tried to backup again, and when I inserted the proper disk (the last one in the set) it tells me "media unrecognized". I assume it's a bad disk, and select the "report disk missing" option and continue with a new disk. Everything seems to backup without a problem. I then go to verify the backup set and insert the first disk as instructed. It gives me the same "media unrecognized" problem. So what's the deal? Anyone else had this problem? It seems to me Retrospect should be able to recognize it's own disks. I'm backing up to new, unformatted CD-RW disks using a qualified SCSI Plextor 12/4/32 plexwriter with all the latest firmware, etc. I'm running Win2000 prof. It takes about 10 disks and many hours to back up my entire system, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for responding. Ok, I did that. I get the following for my CD-RW drive:

Plextor CD-R PX-W124TS 1.07 (driver:) Plextor CD-RW (1.53)

What next? I tried to backup a smaller partition to CD-RW disks (so it wouldn't take as long) to check if maybe something just went wrong with the first backup. It still gave me the same problem. The thing I think is weird is that the first verification (verification set to on) works directly after the backup. When I verify media later on, I get "media unrecognized". I even tried doing a recycle backup with Retrospect erasing the disks first, and I still have the same problem. I can, however, backup to and reverify using CD-R disks without a problem, but I would rather be able to use CD-RW's.

Archived