Retrospect does not work on my Dell Dimension 8250

RobMcDougall

Believe me, I've tried. I saw the Dantz post about problems with Dell FAT partition and their suggested workaround. Even though I did not get the error they said I would (missing boot.ini file) I did get a different error - "NTLDR is missing" - on a black screen with white type.

I successfully installed 6.0, ran the backup and it backed up nicely to my Maxto external USB 2.0 drive lickity split, I created a disaster recovery CD, as per the Dantz instructions.

Tried to boot off the CD and got the message above.

Tried the "workaround" which called for installing Windows XP, then Retrospect - did that.

Copied the Boot.ini file as per instructions from Dantz.

On reboot, complete no go.

Finally ran Windows XP install again, and it spotted the previous install and went about repairing it. All this has taken up most of my day (which is exactly what I am trying to avoid in the first place).

After all this, I got an OS that I could navigate - basic WIndows XP functionality, but none of my programs will run and all the utilities I checked would not run. It did not remember my screen size settings either.

Bottom line, it does not work on my computer.

Everything else about this product looks great.

If any nice tech person has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I will give it a week or two to see if any solutions are offered up by Dantz, otherwise, unfortunately, I will not be buying this otherwise neat product at the end of the trial period.

Thanks so much Dantz though for at least providing a trial version. I tried Norton Ghost before this and that didn't work either (for completely different reasons) but I had to pay for it to try it and am now going to be waiting 6 to 8 weeks to get my money back.

10 out of 10 to Dantz for not putting me through that again.

Best wishes,

Rob McDougall

Is the Maxtor USB drive local to this machine or is it out on a network?

After all this, I got an OS that I could navigate - basic WIndows XP functionality, but none of my programs will run and all the utilities I checked would not run. It did not remember my screen size settings either.

This sounds like the Registry was not restored - were there any errors in the log? Did you reboot after the restore?

If you go to Configure > Backup Sets > Properties > Snapshots and get properties on the snapshot you used for restore, do you see all relevant system state information listed (eg: Registry, IIS, etc.)?

Quote:

Is the Maxtor USB drive local to this machine or is it out on a network?

It is on this machine - connected directly through the rear USB 2.0 and it works fine.

This sounds like the Registry was not restored - were there any errors in the log? Did you reboot after the restore?

I did not get to view the log because, after I rebooted as advised by the Dantz directions about this workaround for a Dell computer, I could not open Retrospect, or most other programs on the computer (except the basic Windows tools).

If you go to Configure > Backup Sets > Properties > Snapshots and get properties on the snapshot you used for restore, do you see all relevant system state information listed (eg: Registry, IIS, etc.)?

Here is what it says:

Registry, COM+ Class registration database, WMI Repository, Disk Quota Information

Finally, thank you very much for responding so quick - I am impressed. I do hope you can help me to get this working as I like everything else about this program. (If you happen to respond to this tomorrow or Monday, I will be out of state until Tuesday, but will respond to you ASAP. Again, thanks for helping. - Rob McDougall

Did you restore back to the original computer?

Yes

Did you restore back to your original hard drive or to a new hard drive?

A new hard drive. (On the theory that the old one crapped out.)

What kind of formatting / partitioning was done on the drive(s) before the restore?

Using BIOS the drive was partioned with one partition NTFS, then, it was formatted using the utility supplied by the manufacturer.

Please help - I would love to be able to use your product. - Rob.

Archived