Duplicate and time differences?

From the Dantz Knowledge Base:

Different Modify Date/Time error when duplicating files with Retrospect 5.0 for Macintosh

Retrospect 5.0 for Macintosh may report a "Different Modify Date/Time" error for duplicated files (Immediate>Duplicate) with Oct and April dates. The time difference detected by Retrospect will be exactly 1 hour.

Dantz is aware of this problem and we are working closely with Apple to resolve the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------

I did a duplicate on my 10.2.4 system, and over 200 files where not copied as a result of this problem! Can anyone give us the status of a fix for this problem?

THanks,

Allan

Quote:

I did a duplicate on my 10.2.4 system, and over 200 files where not copied as a result of this problem!

The problem described in the article you quote is not that the files are not copied, but that they don't compare without error.

Check your log again; perhaps your 200 errors are Compare errors and not Copy errors?

Dave

hard to tell from the log entry:

File “hlsb8r.tfm”: different creation date/time (src: 4/4/1999 5:42:29 AM, dest: 4/4/1999 6:42:29 AM), path: “system/sw/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/bh/lucsans/hlsb8r.tfm”.

but when I check the destination drive, the file is there.

Quote:

hard to tell from the log entry:

No it's not.

Start by looking where the operations change from:

3/3/3003 12:00:00 PM Copying (icon) Your_Source

To:

3/3/3003 12:34:56 PM Comparing (icon) Your_Source

Any errors in the Copy phase are Copy errors, while errors in the Compare phase are Compare errors.

Compare errors are common, and many such errors are to be expected in OS X.

Your specific example entry:

File hlsb8r.tfm: different creation date/time (src: 4/4/1999 5:42:29 AM, dest: 4/4/1999 6:42:29 AM)

Tells you that during the Compare phase, Retrospect went back and noted that your original Source file ("src") has a date/time stamp different then the version Retrospect just wrote to the Backup Set you used as a Destination ("dest")

This is indeed the long standing Apple bug that made it over from earlier versions of Classic Mac OS to Mac OSX.

Too bad they didn't bring over pop up folders and file labels, too!

Your files are fine; the difference in date shouldn't matter much if you ever need to Recover any (otherwise) lost data.

Dave

Archived