Is there a need for the "client" software with retro server backup?

From an os x server mac:

I'm confused about the need for client software when using "retro server backup". Except for when archiving files on drives connected to an appleshare server in which without the client software I can't create a subvolume, and windoze 2000 pcs where I can't connect at all without the client software, I don't need client software. I'm able to create/mount volumes/subvolumes on all the partitions of drives connected to our os x servers or to local drives on os 8/9 macs, so why is client software so important.

Using a mac with (we run 2 separate archives daily, fortunately) os 9 mac for tape backup software I don't need client software except with the windoze pc.

Does os x retrospec server software work that much differently than os 9 (non server) retro software?

In a previous post I stated that the retro server on the os 9 mac works perfectly, but the os x server software copies all (evvery one) files to the archive, each time (even though they have the same date) unless I modify the script and put a "date >= " in the script.

catman

Quote:

Except for when archiving files on drives connected to an appleshare server in which without the client software I can't create a subvolume, and windoze 2000 pcs where I can't connect at all without the client software, I don't need client software.

These are not excepts for's - this is what the client software is for - to backup machines across your network. If you are only backing up the local machine, then you don't need client software. However, according to your post, you have multiple network machines that need backup. While you can backup OS 9 and earlier volumes via mounted volume - it is not recommended. There is more configuration involved, less descriptive error reporting available, less configurable options and file permissions (should there be any) are not backed up.

Archived