error restoring from a CD

LXIV

I received Retrospect Express 5.6.132 with a Maxtor one touch 5000LE. I'm using it with Windows 98SE with

using USB 2. I have a Shuttle AK 32 mother board and AMD 1.7 CPU. It has the VIA chipset and the 4 in 1

update has been installed. It has 256 mb Ram.

I did a system save and the save went well. I duplicated the disk first, then I made a backup set, just to make sure.

I then made the disaster recovery CD using the backup set and that went without error. I then, to test the system,

unplugged the hard drive and installed another one.

Following the instructions I FDISKed the drive and formatted it. After that, a lot of files were moved to the hard drive,

using something like PKUNZIP and the system re-booted.

This system has two monitors, and as it started up both monitors were there and working. I did get an error saying

DDEML.DLL was older than it should be, and it couldn't be fixed while Windows was using it. The message said a reboot

should put things right. A reboot came back with the same error.

I compared DDEML.DLL to the same file on another machine and they checked out as the same. I changed the date

to the date of the other file and the error did not come back. I don't think it had anything to do with the next error.

As the desktop appeared, Retrospect started to execute. Within two seconds I got a 'windows' Fatal execption 0E

0028:00000009.

Pushing the 'enter' key presented me with a 'windows' fatal exception 0D 0246:014747FB.

I went back through the whole process and made a new CD. I got the exact same results.

I've looked through the fourm and I don't see anyone else with this problem, so I assume it's not widespread. Could it

be insufficient user IQ?

Am I missing a step here somewhere?

Once I get it running this looks like an excellent way to back up your data.

Thanks for your time and for any suggestions you can offer.

John Worman

Quote:

Following the instructions I FDISKed the drive and formatted it. After that, a lot of files were moved to the hard drive, using something like PKUNZIP and the system re-booted.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Which instructions are you referring to and what is PKUNZIP? Can you be more specific about this step?

Oh, sorry. When the restore routine starts, the first thing that happens is you are told what the old drive looked like when the

backup set was made, and you are asked if you would like to run 'fdisk' on the new drive to make the partitions the same. I did

run 'fdisk' on my new drive, then the next step in the restore sequence is to format the new partition. The instructions I was

referring to are on the screen when you boot the recovery CD.

PKUNZIP is an old DOS program that would extract files from a 'ZIP' file. The notations on the screen when PKUNZIP did

its extractions looked just like the screens when the files are taken off the recovery CD and put on the hard drive.

John

After doing a backup to the Maxtor drive, I selected disaster recovery from the Retrospect menu and it made

a .ISO file. I burned the .ISO file using EASY CD CREATOR, ver 5.

I didn't use any folder from the hard drive or the Windows CD. Retrospect did all the selection.

My windows CD is the retail version, Windows 98 SE, but it wasn't used in the creation of the restore CD.

John

Did this error occur before Retrospect started the actual restore? It sounds like the temporary Windows OS that you were booted into before the restore did not contain the proper video drivers for your dual monitor system.

An OD exception is often, but not always, related to out of date or improper video drivers.

I've never seen these errors during a disaster recovery. The problem may be tied to the DDEML.DLL error.

I would suggest downloading a trial edition of Retrospect 6.0 Professional and see if you have better results.

http://www.dantz.com/products/win_professional/index.html

Well Phooey! I did as you suggested and downloaded the Retrospect 6.0 program, then started from the beginning. I got the same error as before at the same place.

Yes, the error occurs before the actual restore. It builds the temporary Windows OS, and boots to it. Just as the boot is about finished and Retrospect starts to execute, I get the 'blue screen of death' error.

I have removed the extra video card and reverted back to a single monitor system with no help.

Isn't the temporary Windows system built from my running system? These video drivers work alright with the system I'm running. I don't believe there are any newer drivers for my video cards.

In the past I have done a file compare with every DLL file I could find between my running system and the faulty one. I can't say for sure if I compared DDEML.DLL or not.

I'm really sad as this looked like a really elegant way to do an emergencey restore. I'm really sad that I can't seem to make it work

John

Please provide the following information about your configuration:

Manufacturer:

Model:

CPU (type & speed)

RAM:

OS and revision including SP

How are the hard drives formatted – how many drives? i.e. C drive FAT32, D drive etc….

Which Drive is the startup volume?

Any SCSI Hard Drives?

Installed cards (Make / Model):

Attached devices, by interface, drive letter and ID:

Has this been reproduced (on another system)?

Version of the drivers loaded for devices/SCSI cards etc in the device manager

OK, I think I have it all...

Please provide the following information about your configuration:

Manufacturer: Shuttle

Model: AK-32

CPU (type & speed) AMD Athlon XP 1700+

RAM: 384 MB

OS and revision including SP Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222A

Win 98 update (last Q811630)

Win 98 SE update (last Q273991)

(I believe all updates have been installed)

Phoenix Award BIOS V6.00PG

CAK32S306) VIA KT266A VT8366A+VT8233

09/27/2002 - AK32-6A6LVH28C-00

How are the hard drives formatted – how many drives? i.e. C drive FAT32, D drive etc….

2 drives:

Primary master 13 GB, partitioned as:

C: Primary DOS FAT 32 3.2 GB

D: Logical FAT 32 3.5GB

E: Logical FAT 32 3.5 GB

F: Logical FAT 32 4.1GB

Secondary Master 3.2 GB

G: Logical FAT 32 3.2GB

Which Drive is the startup volume? C: drive (Primary Master)

Any SCSI Hard Drives? NO

Installed cards (Make / Model): Display (AGP) S3 (Driver :S3 Incorporated 4.11.01.5002-1.00.37)

Display (PCI) Trident 9685 (Driver Microsoft 4.10.1682)

Network Linksys LNE 100 (V5) Fast Ethernet (Driver Linksys 2.10.0402.2001)

USB 2.0 OWC (Driver : Orange Ware Corp 2.0.6.0)

PCI AUDIO (Driver: Advance Logic 4.05.00.3000)

Attached devices, by interface, drive letter and ID:

Primary slave = R: ATAPI 48X CDROM (Memorex)

Secondary Slave = W: Cyberdrv CW078D CD-R/RW

USB Sandisk SDDR-31 Compac Flash card reader

Has this been reproduced (on another system)? NO

Version of the drivers loaded for devices/SCSI cards etc in the device manager

Printer is HP Laserjet Series II

modem is US Robotics 56K FAX EXT

Thanks for your interest...

John

Archived