backup errors related to Win XP system restore files

lchop

I thought I read somewhere in the support area of the Dantz web site that retrospect ignores the files related to Windows system restore. However, my log is showing errors for files that have at least something to do with system restore. The following is an excerpt from my log:

File "C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiCL0001.000": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiP10000.000": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiP20000.000": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiPT0000.000": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiSL0001.000": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiSP0000.000": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiST0000.000": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiVP0000.000": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\INDEX.000": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

Are these errors typical and more importantly will they affect my ability to do a full restore to a blank hard drive with everything running smoothly?

Using retrospect express version 5.6, and Windows XP home edition. Thank you in advance.

From the Knowledgebase

Windows ME and XP offer a feature that automatically copies system data to a _restore directory. Each time this "backup" happens, a new Restore Point is created.

Restore points are available to users of Microsoft Windows ME, XP Home, and XP Pro systems. A Restore Point is automatically created upon any software install and can be created anytime manually. The information is stored locally on free drive space in folders named _Restore. The user can adjust the amount of drive space used to store Restore Points or turn System Restore functionality off through the System properties Control Panel. The _Restore folders are automatically excluded by design from any Retrospect backup of a system.

Retrospect restores over an existing live system of Windows ME or XP will still have all previous Restore Points created prior to restore since Retrospect ignores the _Restore folders and does not write over them. During Disaster Recovery restores however, when a hard drive is erased or replaced before the restore, a user will lose all Restore Points. Since Retrospect does not backup the System Restore information, it can not restore it to a new drive. This should not cause any computer troubles after a complete system restore.

Restore Points present no real issue with Retrospect. We do not report errors on these files during backup, compare or restore.

This document applies to Retrospect 5.6 and later. Users of upgraded versions may experience errors on the _Restore folders during Retrospect restores. See the User’s Guide for more information.

---

catalog.wci -- I believe these files are related to the Microsoft Index Server, and not to System Restore. The Microsoft knowledgebase will probably have more detailed information on what these files are.

Error -1020 (sharing violation) occurs when a file cannot be accessed because it is in use. Another application or the operating system may have the files open preventing Retrospect from accessing them. Exit the application that owns the busy file. It is possible this error was reported on insignificant files and you can just ignore it.

Amy-

The reason I brought up the issue of restore points is because when I searched the Microsoft knowledge base for "system volume information" , I found an article about how to access that folder . The introduction describes the system volume information folder as follows:

The System Volume Information folder is a hidden, system folder that the System Restore tool uses to store its information and restore points. There is a System Volume Information folder on every partition on your computer. You might need to gain access to this folder for troubleshooting purposes

I do see, however that within that folder there is a subfolder called restore and also a subfolder called catalog.wci.

the bottom line is, will these errors affect my ability to restore to a blank hard drive and have everything the way it was when I backed up? Thanks.

Archived