Shrinking backup files

Hi All,

I have a Retrospect file that is the backup of all the mobile computers in the office. It is getting too big and I want to clear out any of the older data that we don't need but keep the most recent stuff. Is there a recommended way to scale these large files down safely?

Thanks

Paul

You can do a Recycle backup - which will clear all contents - or you can do a backup set Transfer to a new backup set (Tools > Copy > Transfer). A backup set transfer on the Macintosh will only copy the latest (newest) snapshots from the backup set catalog - historical snapshots are lost. This means that you can do a search for older files, but you will not be able to use snapshot restore for older files. New backups to this backup set will create new snapshots.

Thanks for the help. So I guess what you are saying is that there is no way to cull a backup other than by doing a new backup to a new backup set using either archive or copy?

There is no way to say delete all snapshots or backed up files before a certain date in a backup set?

Thanks again

Paul

Archived