Server Still Freezes

I'm running mac OS X Server 10.2.3, the latest version of Server 5.0, and have an Adaptec 39160 SCSI adapter - which according to the website - will work. I have a Cybernetics CY-A100 AIT drive, with a Sony SDX-500C mechanism - also supported according to the Dantz website. So how come Retrospect freezes and hangs when I try to scan for devices? Apple System Profiler sees the SCSI card and the device properly.

• 2 weeks later...

What version of the Adaptec driver do you have loaded? This card requires Adaptec driver 1.2 or later.

Try temporarily removing the Retrospect preferences (Retro.Config)to make sure they're not corrupted: Library/Preferences/Retrospect.

If you update the driver and are still seeing this behavior, the following article will provide extensive troubleshooting for OS X SCSI:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27289

You can determine if this is a SCSI issue in your environment very quickly. Shut down, remove the SCSI drive, reboot and do a device scan. Does the problem go away?

If so, the link provided in the previous post will walk you through SCSI troubleshooting in OS X.

Archived