Retrospect Pro 6.0 Trial version: Constantly accessing floppy

wwecklesjr

I downloaded and installed the ver. 6 trial. Everything was fine until I tried to run the program.

Upon launch, before the program is even fully loaded, the 3.5" floppy drive is accessed. Regardless of whether or not there is a diskette in the drive, this drive accessing continues until Retrospect is closed.

I can execute commands, navigate menus, set preferences and check logs. I even managed to configure my ATAPI CD-RW drive.

But all of this is painstakingly slow and intermittent, for as long as Retrospect is running, the floppy drive is relentlessly (every one to three seconds) pounded with either read attempts or ready-state queries or something.

The Operations Log shows no errors, problems or warnings of any sort. I installed the 3.7 Driver update, with no change. I even disabled the floppy drive in Windows; the program behaves exactly the same - sluggish and unresponsive - even though there is no floppy drive.

I haven't tried to run a backup yet, as I suspect this problem would either make the system unstable, or at least drag out the process to an unacceptable length of time.

Not sure what kind of technical info you need, so I'll supply on request. I believe that Retrospect Pro 6.0 for Windows9x doesn't even support floppy as a backup device, which if true makes this even more mysterious!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

This can occur on a Windows system that has been factory configured to support an Imation SuperDisk but has a regular 1.4" floppy drive. The solution is to delete the registry key for the SuperDisk driver.

A specific example is that on a Compaq Presario 5280, deleting the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\SCSI\COMPAQ_LS-120_COSM__050 solved the problem.

Well done, AmyC! There was a pair of LS-120 driver keys on this Presario 5600S, and removing them cleared up the problem. Thanks! Now I can properly evaluate this program...while I still had the problem, I ran a backup of the C: partition...it took three hours! I suspect that this fix will shorten that time significantly.

Archived