Tape set to missing - Retrospect still looks for it

powermeck

Ok - here's my solution for really getting rid of a broken tape. First I erased the tape as suggested by Dantz tech support, but Retrospect kept asking for the broken one. Next I recreated the catalog from the remaining tapes. Took a couple of hours, but Retrospect is not asking for the tape anymore - and the catalog even works with the tape copies that I had made months ago.

For tape copying, by the way, Novastor Tape Copy is really cool.

cheers...

If you do a search restore, Retrospect will bring up all files that match your search criteria (regardless of whether or not they are on a missing tape).

Any files on a "missing" tape will have a starburst next to the name (similar to '*'). If you mark these files for restore, Retropsect will request the tape. The starburst indicates the file is on a missing backup set member.

The tape was gone anyway, so why keep the filenames :-)

In some cases, users may "find" the tape. It may have gone missing, rather then be damaged. In these cases, they can add the backup set member to the set once again. It also provides users with a way to know what files were on the damaged/missing tape. cool.gif

Uhm, I think I have to take back that I found a solution. Today when I started restoring from the archive tape Retrospect again asked for 1-Archive - which has been broken, erased, and the archive catalog has been rebuilt from scratch.

Is there any way I can really, really get rid of 1-Archive? I have archive tapes 2-4.

Thanks...

Archived