MacOS X Workgroup Reading WindowsServer Backup Set

My company is moving our group from our windows 2k server to macOS x. We had Retrospect Server v5.6 on Windows on the w2k machine. Now, we run Retrospect Workgroup v5.0 on the macOS machine.

Is there a way that RW5 can read RS5.6's backup set? We would VERY VERY MUCH like to continue the backup set we had before as opposed to start a new set ... and to keep retrospect server for windows installed on some windows machine (very white elephant) just to read the old backups.

I tried to have RW5 (mac) read the CDs RS5.6 (w2k) backed up to ... but got 'incompatible version' error message. Then, I tried to have the RW5 (mac) read the FS5.6 (w2k) .RSC file ... but nothing happened.

IS THERE A WAY?!?!? PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! confused.gif

tim

Retrospect is not able to read tapes across our two platforms (Mac/PC) products at this time. The main reason is the format we use for the Macintosh was created for the Macintosh file system (HFS) and was/is not extensible. It was very precisely engineered to work well with the Macintosh file system and architecture.

Being backwards compatible is a MUST in backup software and thus we must keep our Macintosh format the same. You can imagine the horror of needing to retrieve files from a 6 year old tape to find out that the product you used to do the backup no longer works with your tape because it is too old. Not a good idea.

Archived