Error -105 with OnStream

zorglub

I have an OnStream SC30e under WIndows 2000. For some tapes I can store 13-14GB of data, other tapes (even new ones) I get an error -105 after just 2GB. I have read the what error -105 means on your site but it is of no help - your faq talks about the Mac, or that the backup procedure was interupted by a power failure. Neither of thse conditions apply. The only way to continue is to insert a new tape. Why do I have to waste tape space? specially since they are so expensive.

An error 105 is usually an indication of problems with the media that you are using. The first step is to try another piece of media. If possible, try a different brand of media. Check with your hardware vendor to see if they have media recommendations. If it is CD-RW or tape you can try erasing it in Retrospect and using it again.

If a tape has an end of data (EOD) marker (written by the tape drive at the end of a writing session, to mark the point at which it should continue writing next time) somewhere other than the end of the tape it will report the error 105 (unexpected end of data) when it next tries to write data to the tape. Retrospect can also report error 105 when a crash or power failure interrupts the backup computer or tape drive. Helical scan tape drives such as AIT, DAT, DTF, Exabyte 8mm and AME 8mm require an EOD marker on a tape to append data. If you're using a Tranvan Tape and you pull the tape out before it is done rewinding, this can also place an EOD marker on the tape and cause the 105 next time you attempt to use the tape. If you continue to get this on new tapes repeatedly, then proceed with the following troubleshooting steps:

Ensure that you are using a device that has been qualified for use with Retrospect. The internal mechanism is the key to determining whether or not a drive is supported by Retrospect. This information can be found in the Device Status window (Configure -> Devices).

For a list of supported and pending drives please see our compatibility list at:

http://www.dantz.com/hardware/

If the drive is supported and you are still getting these errors, you can look into the following:

If this is a tape drive, run a cleaning tape through several times, as dirty heads can cause incorrect information to be reported.

Under Windows 95, 98 or ME, check that ASPI is installed correctly. Run ASPICHK (in the Retrospect Program Files folder) to make sure ASPI is "green" and all components are at version 4.60. If not, try a reinstall

(ASPIINST.exe).

Is this Windows NT or 2000? If so, enable NT SCSI Passthrough to bypass ASPI: From the Retrospect Directory hit Ctrl-Alt-P-P. Under "Execution," check "Enable NT SCSI Passthrough." Click OK. Quit and relaunch.

Try isolating the device and connecting it directly to the computer. If it is a SCSI device, ensure that it is properly terminated. Also try replacing the terminator.

For ATAPI drives, make sure that the device is set to be "master" on its IDE channel, not "slave" or "cable select". Many CD writers do not function well if they are not configured as the master device.

Check cabling. Straighten or replace the cable that connects the device to the computer.

Check the status of the device's drivers. Updating or reinstallation of the device's drivers and/or firmware may be necessary. Corrupt drivers can cause issues that may not be otherwise detectable. Check the manufacturer's or vendor's website for updated drivers. Note that some devices, such as tape

drives, do not need installed drivers for use with Retrospect, and might need to be uninstalled.

Completely uninstall any other third-party backup software that may be on your machine, including any drivers that software may have loaded for the device.

The system board in the computer may be having a problem. Install Retrospect on another computer, if available, and try the device there.

Archived