Windoze server to osx client problem

We are running Retrospect Server 6.026 on a Windows 2000 Server, and Retrospect client 5.0.540 on 2x OSX 10.2.4 macs. On trying to add the network clients on the server, both osx machines show up in the client browser window, one of them can be connected to no problems, the other waits for a bit and we get a client not found -530 error (even though the clients in the list!).

Have tried uninstalling the client from the suspect mac and reinstalling, and also installing it as root user, to no avail.

Both Mac's can ping the server fine and vice versa, all machines are on fixed i.p addresses and are on the same subnet mask. Energy saver and sleep mode is disabled on the macs.

Anybody got any ideas???

I'm trying to remember the symptoms of various errors, and it seems to me that this was what would happen if the firewall was turned on in MacOS X. You could see the client in the list, but get "not there" when trying to connect. (At least I know I've seen that error, so if it wasn't that mistake it was one of my many others...)

In any case, check under the Sharing pane, Firewall tab, and see if it is turned on. If it's on, make sure that the Retrospect port (497) is checked. It should already be on the scrolling list.

Archived