Sudden problem "different modification time"

Hail to all,

I have a strange sudden error in my backups (this client is Win NT that is being backed up from MAC OS X Retrospect server).

All backups were successfull until 2/17/03, when my Log reported for the first time:

"different modification set (2/17/03 12:51:46 AM, vol 2/17/03 1:06:46 AM" frown.gif

The backup is set to 1:00 AM. Evidently this error was posted at 1:06:46 AM, but was is the segnificance of 12:51:46 AM confused.gif??

And another thing, is it possible to pick just a file for the backup, not the subvolume (folder?)

Thanks

That just means that a file changed between when the file was written to the backup set and when compared against it at the end. The first number would be the modification date/time of the copy written to the backup set; the second what it found when running the compare. It is not at all suprising that the original file dated from before the backup started. It is also not surprising that a file would have been modified during the time the backup is running. (Things like mailboxes if the mail client is continuing to download mail during the backup.) What is surprising is that you haven't seen these errors before ;-)

I think the only time I see a client that doesn't have an error of this type is if there were no files to be backed up! These are so common for me that I changed the Retrospect Event Handler to report Volume Errors and File Errors separately, as Volume Errors really are serious.

mcswgn,

the problem is that all these files are databases that change dayly, every day.

they're set to Normal Backup, so that they'll be easier to restore. I would imagine that this error would come up before as well, but as I mentioned it didn't. I've been backing up without this error for about a month before it appeared for the first time.

Every single file in the folder being backed up has this error, and it shows up with red > in the Log.

Changing daily is not the problem, it's that they were being modified during the window in which the backup was running. Some files will always be changing since the system remains busy. However, since this is the middle of the night, it would be surprising for these databases to be changing if they are normally only modified by people working during the day. In any case, lacking evidence to the contrary, it doesn't sound like a retrospect issue. It sounds like something was running during the night that caused the modification times of everything in this folder to change. Perhaps the software that handles these databases is actually always running and infrequently accessing the files and it was just coincidence that this time it happened to be mucking about just as the backup was running. Or maybe it's normally shutdown but someone left it running on their desktop and it has an autosave feature. Notice that it's not saying there was any other difference, though (e.g a file miscompare).

Archived