cannot boot into newly restored MacOS X volume

Hi all,

I'm trying to move an OSX 10.2.4 system from a G3 beige desktop to a new G4 tower. I believe that I should be able to just restore the entire system and it will work (this is based on docs indicating that OSX is OSX and not a hardware specific installation).

The trouble is, that I simply cannot boot into the restored system. I have followed the instructions in the Retrospect user guide (pp 117-119). I can select the restored system using Startup disk - it reports it as bootable and the correct version - 10.2.4, but it will just refuse to boot into it - if another system is present it will boot into that, if not, it will sit with the flashing question mark.

I have tried installing a system (same version - 10.2.4 ) and restoring over the top of that, as indicated in the user guide. I have also tried having a different working system on the same disk and then restoring to an empty partition - all with the same result.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be going wrong or even what I can try - how do I find out *why* it isn't booting? Cmd-v doesn't tell me anything as it merely stops at the flashing folder icon. Is there another way of getting some diagnostic information at this stage.

I have checked the drive with Disk Utility and all seems to be well. I have also updated to the latest firmware.

I am using Retrospect 5.0.236.

Thanks in advance

Toby Blake

University of Edinburgh

Quote:

I believe that I should be able to just restore the entire system and it will work (this is based on docs indicating that OSX is OSX and not a hardware specific installation).

You might be able to test this theory by taking the IDE disk out of the G3 and installing it in the G4; if it boots then you have confirmed that the software can be transfered. But it may not; I'm not certain that the Installer doesn't do special things to make beige G3's work with OS X.

If this _does_ work you might try Carbon Copy Cloner to try and clone the G3's drive to a G4 partition, and see if that works for you.

Dave

Archived