Sony DRX-500UL...Crash w/USB 2 and Error 206 w/ Firewire

I purchased a Sony DRX-500UL and upgraded to Retrospect 6. Updated to RDU 3.6.104,which supports this device.

Upgraded firmware on Sony to 1.0g. Have used Retrospect for a couple years, and have never had problems w/

devices, so I ran a backup of C:, using USB 2. Used recommended media(Verbatim DVD-R "for general" ver 2.0)

First disk copied fine- second disk copied about a Gig, and crashed a machine that has never bluescreened before

w/ the error message"Worker thread returned bad

IRQL---Stop:0x000000E1(0x8054EF88,0X00000002,0x8IFE50,Ox8IFOE50. I didn't take that language in school, so I

have no idea what that means. ; ) Hmmm. Better try FireWire from ATI IAW 8500 64Mb. Copied half a DVD and

Retrospect error: 206- (dirty heads,bad media,drive failure....o.k. time to RTFM! Confirmed or changed these;

Disabled NAV and auto updates, Windows automatic updates, screensaver and power options disabled,upgraded to

Win XP SP1, uninstalled Nero UDF packet writing software,( I did not install any software that came w/ the Sony

DVD burner),ran full virus scan, One Button checkup w/ Norton Sys Works 2002, all critical Win updates after SP1

install, Win updates ATI display driver 6.13.10.6166, and Microsoft processor update 5.1.2600.1152 from Win

Updates. I did not install other Win updates such as Media player 9 or similar items, as they have their own issues

and I didn't want to add that to the mix.

Ran another backup. USB 2 bluescreened--FireWire returned error 206. Call me a sucker, but I tried again w/

different recommended media using firewire,which at least wasn't crashing my rig.(DVD+R, forgot name-already

returned it). *Regards growing pile of expensive coasters w/ disdain*

Exchanged Sony for a different one. Updated the firmware. Ran a backup. Yeah, right.

Scoured the web for forums, checked IRQs,blah, blah, blah- no help.

I built this rig myself, and am familiar w/ configuration problems and troubleshooting, but this one has me in fits. I

REALLY want to use this drive. I have used the USB 2 for a scanner, and camera w/ no problems. Both interfaces

recognize the drive, and Retrospect sees it correctly as well.

Here are the system specs;( Nothing is overclocked at all .)

Antec MidTower w/ 350W TruePower PS

ASUS A7V333- No RAID- Onboard USB 2.0

Athlon XP 2100 (1.73 Ghz)

Volcano 6cu Proc. Fan

ATI All in Wonder 8500 64 Mb DDR

Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1

512 Mb Samsung PC2700 333Mhz

Realtek NIC

Plextor 20/10/40 CDRW/DVD Combo Drive(internal)

Liteon 52x CDROM

Maxtor PCI IDE Controller

3 WD 80 Gb Hard Drives

Logitech Cordless Elite keyboard and optical mouse.

3 Case fans

Partridge in a pear tree

P.S. Tried this on 2-16 and noticed that on 2-19 a new driver update that lists my device( as the last one did), is

available. Does this mean it really REALLY works now?!?!? *Checks pockets for coaster cash....*

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the details - it's always helpful to see what's been done already. You've done a fair amount of troubleshooting on this computer - the next step is to try the drive on a different computer to see if the problem follows the drive or stays with the computer.

Archived