Retrospect over router (497 opened)

amccarty

All-

I'm trying to backup servers on remote subnets (one Cisco 3640 between them). I have created an access list that opens port 497 (tcp/udp) from the server TO the clients. However, once I install this access list, I can't configure/connect to the clients. If I remove it, everything works fine. A tcpdump shows the clients connecting back on high ports, incrementing by 1 or 2 for every new connection. I need to know what this range of high ports is so I can open it up back to the server. Or, if I'm doing something obviously wrong, let me know....

Guest psykoyiko

I don't know if this sheds any light on your situation, but as far as I can tell, you need to have port 497 open in BOTH directions for clients to communicate properly. Retrospect seems to send out UDP packets for client discovery, and then the clients respond to that discovery somehow. Then, Retrospect establishes a TCP connection to the client for further communication. So you definitely should make sure that the client can communicate to the server across that router.

Archived