Device Support and Upgrade Cost

Wolfco

I have never purchased or used software so excruciatingly slow, or that had the ability to lock up Windows XP like retrospect express 5.6!

Its no wonder that it touts un-attended backups, they don't want you to see it sit there for 20 min. or more before it can resume after a disk change.

The package promised everything I was looking for in backup software. Is there anyone out there for whom it delivered on all the boxes promises without having to jump through hoops of fire? Please reply.

I would have returned it for a refund, if that was really possible on opened software. As is, I feel cheated, now more than ever. I upgraded my burner to the TDK VeloCD 4800B, that is NOT supported by 5.6! I have waited several months to see if they would update to support it, but it appears they will not. I would have to upgrade to 6.0 for another $60 (NOT!) because I didn't check with Dantz first to see if my choice of hardware was ok.

Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test to ensure that the drive will reliably backup your data. At this time, our engineering efforts need to focus on the latest release of Retrospect, and a frequent and consistent release schedule does not allow us to add support for new drives in previous versions of Retrospect.

Dantz provides a 30-day refund on any software purchased through our store. For complete details, please see:

http://www.dantz.com/support/refunds.html

Software purchased through an outside vendor is subject to their return policy.

Well, thanks for your reply.

As you can see from my registered date, I purchased Express v 5 in May '02 from Best Buy. (Just a few weeks outside of the free upgrade window to v6.) I'm sure we are all familiar with retail store return policies on opened software.

At the time, I was using a Plextor 12-10-32A, and I made sure I was using Plextor approved CD-RW media because it would not work at all with CD-R's. (I had previously used the CD-ResQ program that came with the PlexWriter, but that would not work with WinXP.) The program "worked", but frequently either hung up, or was just taking so long to do a media change that it might as well have been hung. It would take an entire evening of babysitting and restarting to get a backup done. From reading many other forum posts, I could see that this was/is a fairly common problem, so I assumed that it was somthing Dantz was working on as they were regularly releasing driver updates. I was VERY dissapointed (P.O.ed, in fact) to see all work on v5 stop, and that the "fix" would be to have to upgrade to a whole new version at CONSIDERABLE extra cost for home use, to get somthing that I felt I had already paid for - a backup program that delivered on it promises.

BTW... at YOUR price of $130 for v6, I would not have even considered it for home use.

CDW has it for $86.83! Therefore, if you had only wanted, say $30 for the upgrade, the difference between the real world price and the $60 I have already paid for 5.6, I would only grumble a little, and fork over the money.)

The Plextor 12-10-32A was/is fully supported and a drive that I used at home (along with the 16x Plextor) before moving to a higher speed Yamaha drive. Dantz spends tremendous resources on testing and qualifying various backup devices with Retrospect; if we certify that a device is compatible with Retrospect, we have thoroughly tested the drive. This does not mean that in some configurations other factors will not be able to interfere. There was no 'fix' pending for this drive, because there was nothing broken. This drive was fully supported by the version you purchased.

That the Plextor drive was not working for you in your environment may have been caused by many factors in the configuration and this forum is a great place to troubleshoot those issues. I'm sorry you weren't able to get it to work for you. I never experienced any of the difficulties you were seeing, and I was using CD-R media daily.

When you made the decision to upgrade your hardware, you chose a drive that was not supported by that version of Retrospect and therefore and upgrade would have been required to continue to use Retrospect. There was no requirement for you to upgrade for compatibility with the Plextor, nor would an upgrade have resolved the issues you were seeing.

Upgrade pricing through Dantz is the SRP price - in most cases you can find full versions and upgrades cheaper on the "street." I hope you'll consider using Retrospect in the future. You may want to try a trial download of Professional and see if it will meet you backup needs with the TDK drive (which also requires a driver update for support).

http://www.dantz.com/products/personal.html

Archived