Client problems after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.2.4

I've been using the Retrospect Client (build 5.0.540) for some time without any problems on Mac OS X 10.2.3. A few days ago, I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.2.4 and since then, the Retrospect Client has not worked.

Problem description

The Retrospect Server is able to scan the disk structure without problems, but when the backup starts the following happens:

o Retrospect Server displays a dialog 'Net retry'

o Client CPU load goes to 100 percent.

Canceling the backup on the server makes no difference (the CPU load stays at 100% on the client). Further investigation shows that the process retropds.22 is consuming all available CPU time. Killing that process causes the process pitond to consume all available CPU time. Killing pitond sets the system to 'normal' state (but of course the Retrospect Client is not running anymore)

Steps taken to try to solve problem

o Total uninstall and reinstall of the Retrospect Client

o Tried backing up a different volume and a subvolume (folder)

o Run Disk Utility and fsck

System Information

The client is a PB G3 400 Mhz (Lombard) Mac OS X 10.2.4 (6I32). Retrospect Client 5.0.540

Backup server is 5.0.538

Quote:

- What OS is the Retrospect application running under?

- Has any of your physical network topology changed along with the OS update?

- How long do you wait between events (net retry before you kill retropes.22 befor you kill pitond)?

Dave

Retrospect application is running under Mac OS 9.0.4.

No changes to the network topology.

I've waited several minutes before canceling the backup (5-10 minutes)

Siggi

• 2 months later...

Dantz has released an update to the Retrospect Client software for Mac OS X. This update is compatible with Retrospect 5.0 for Macintosh as well as Retrospect 6.5 for Windows.

Changes made the new Macintosh client software include improved memory management on the client computer as well as a fix for the error -40 File positioning for retropds.22.

The new client installer can be downloaded from:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/cs/mac_client_5_1.sit

Thanks,

Dantz Technical Support

Archived