Deleting a Backup Member (tape)

hi

Using Retrospect 5 Workgroup on Mac (OSX), with an Onstream 30Gb Firewire tape device. Quite often I get errors (lots of 105 end of data). I have found a way around this. Which is to stop the Back-up, Erase the last tape, which also removes it from the Catalog. Then Run the Back-Up again. Is this a correct thing to do? I presume that as the member has been removed from the Catalog, that any files that it had backed up in that member will now be backed up again, since that member does not exist now. Thereby keeping my complete back-up intact?

Will this also work, if for instance I delete tape 7, out of a total of 10 tapes. then back-up again. Will it then back-up all the files that were on tape 7 originally onto new media. Or will the fact that i've removed one of the members of the Catalog, destroy the whole thing, and the files that were on tape 7 will never get backed up again?

Hope this is clear, Its not an easy thing to explain. Hope someone out there can clarify that I am safe in what I'm doing.

Thanks Paul

Quote:

Using Retrospect 5 Workgroup on Mac (OSX), with an Onstream 30Gb Firewire tape device. Quite often I get errors (lots of 105 end of data).

Try an update to 10.2.4, which appears to have resolved these issues with Onstream Firewire tape drives.

All machines are running OS10.2.4 apart from one still on OS9.2.2

That still doesn't answer my question though. Can I safely erase a tape from the BackUp Set? Will the files that were backed up on that tape (now erased) be backed up anew, when I run the next backup? Or does Retrospect think they were already backed up in the past, so does not do them again?

Thanks Paul

Archived