Script to backup user files only - no OSX files please

In fact I am also looking for script advice for OS X. I assume I can reinstall all the OS stuff and Mac supplied software from my disks. So I want a script to copy only documents I create, important preferences that are changed, and software I install. Now I have put this software all in one folder so I can figure that out. But in every "user" folder there are probably many files supplied by the OS that I don't need to copy. I don't think I need to backup MPEGQ1jrc6, for example.

So either I need a browser to help me set up the script (to pick folders for back-up) or some help with selectors. I have to think someone out there has thought this out and come up with a reasonable set of selectors plus some advice on how to store stuff - so that you minimize stuff you do not really need and optimize your back-up to needed files and folders.

I have started my own script development, but I am seeing files I don't think I need (basically I am doing my first backup on new media).

Can anyone offer help?

I did think of that and am trying that with some additions. I was wondering if I have to backup all the files in Library is required? Also at that time I was seeing large files with names that appeared to be system related. Upon further investigation it turns out I was backing up my iDVD project which was huge and has strange files.

Thanks. I just need a selector to not backup that file.

Also I seem to be having an issue backup a user's files (not my logged in user but another user). I posted this separately. I think I have to set up a root user and then backup from that level.

Archived