Newbie question1 - Confused on Backup Set concept

TGilbert

Confused on backup sets. Is a backup set the name for a single tape.

(Assume I never have more data than would fit on one tape)

If I backup up C:\Accounting to backup set ACCT1, can I use the same tape to backup C:\Reports to REPT1?

I am coming from BackupExec.

TIA-TOMG

Yea, I use backup exec too.

I think the backup set is a media set, either tapes, cdrw, removable disks, etc. You group these into backup sets. the catalog keeps track of all the data that is saved to a backup set so you don't have to have the media at hand to see what was backed up. Doing a normal backup to a backup set is really an incremental backup. if no data from a client is on a backup set then all data on the client will be backed up, but the next backup will only backup changed or new file.

you should find the users's guide for your version.

A backup set is a unique copy (collection) of your data. The set can have 1 tape (member) or multiple tapes (muliple members). The catalog is essentially an index of all the files, which allows Retrospect to perform incremental backups - though matching against the list of files in the catalog.

The backup set consists of the catalog and the members. Think of a backup set like a container - you can put anything you'd like into it.

Archived