Any success with Express 5.6, XP, Liteon 24102B, firm 5GS4 ?

Is anyone successfully running Retrospect Express 5.6 on an XP system with a Liteon 24102B with firmware 5GS4? I recently installed Express 5.6 and have been unable to get it to work. When I attempt to write to a CD-R, I get "error -100 (device rejected command)". When I write to a CD-RW, I get "error -103 (unexpected beginning of media)". Express 5.6 is supposed to support this drive with firmware 5S54 or later. However, my firmware is a Gateway-specific version, and Gateway is unable to tell me whether it's earlier or later than Liteon's 5S54. Gateway has no firmware upgrades for it, and the upgrade at Liteon's website cannot be used on a drive with Gateway's firmware. Does anyone know whether Express 5.6 will work with this drive and firmware 5GS4? By the way, I've had this system for about a year and have never had trouble writing to the drive - I use Roxio Easy CD Creator and Musicmatch Jukebox - so I really don't want to touch the firmware anyway.

When minimum firmware requirements are listed, the general reason is that hardware defects with previous versions prevented the drive from performing reliably or properly. Some companies, such as Gateway, may make firmware revisions to address compatibility issues in their systems. These firmware changes may prevent Retrospect from properly accessing the drive. The number one goal of backup is to ensure that your data is safely backed up and restorable. That being said, I wouldn't rely on a backup device where it is unclear whether or not the minimum requirements are being met and where the device is generating hardware errors.

Archived