Automated Backup Crashes

johnson1979

Hi there,

I am having a very strange problem with Retrospect Express 5.6 and a Seagate Travan USB drive. The computer we are working on has an automated backup scheduled for every night at 8 o'clock. Every morning however, Retrospect has crashed during the night (the splash screen is displayed and the computer has to be rebooted). After a reboot the backup will launch and run with no problems.

There is no other backup software on the system and no scheduled tasks (this is using win 2000 sp3 by the way!).

If I set the system clock to 5 mins before the backup is due to start and watch it as it runs, it all runs fine! I have tried rescheduling the backup to different times at night, all to no avail!

If anybody could help me with this it may save my sanity!!!

Thanks!

Quote:

If I set the system clock to 5 mins before the backup is due to start and watch it as it runs, it all runs fine! I have tried rescheduling the backup to different times at night, all to no avail!

If a scheduled backup consistently runs during the day, and consistently fails at night, the key is to look at what is changing/running in your configuration. Is the system going to sleep? Virus software? Utility software?

Try setting your script schedule to run 2 minutes in the future and quit out of Retrospect. Do you see the same behavior on launch? If not, check for nightly tasks that may be running in the system.

Archived