CD-R "content damaged"

plutek

Greetings!

I am backing up to CD-R using a Yamaha CRW6416S drive and have the following problem:

I am ALWAYS getting a "content damaged" message when loading a backup member. I used to have no trouble at all, but have recently begun have this problem consistently. It happens with media from various companies --- the only thing which has changed is that currently I am using 700Mb media, whereas I was previously using 650Mb media.

Is 700Mb media known to be incompatible? The weird thing is that if I write a backup which is small enough that it doesn't span multiple CD-R's, with the verify option ON, the backup writes AND verifies without error. But then when I load the disk again, the "content damaged" error appears and the member is unreadable.

The older (650Mb) disks are still readable, which is why I think the drive is ok and suspect that Retrospect is balking at the larger media size. But it is still strange, since I can write to 700Mb media in other applications with no problem.

Any clues, anyone?

thanks!

-p

an update on my problem......

Having just found some new 650Mb CD-Rs, I have done some more tests.

I can now say confidently that 650Mb CD-Rs work flawlessly, but 700Mb CD-Rs do not. Besides the "content damaged" error, some 700Mb CD-Rs are also registering as "erased", which is strange because that's not even possible.

Any comments about 650 vs 700 Mb CD-R media would be appreciated. I have seen no reference to any program settings which must be changed to indicate which size mediea is being used, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!

-p

thanks AmyC....

well, I have now gotten the "content damaged" error with some 650Mb disks, so it's not a size issue. You seem to be pointing to possible media incompatibility, but all the disk brands which I am using are reliable in all other use with this drive. Is Retrospect's use of the CD writer somehow more demanding or stringent in its requirements, such that media which works well in other applications may fail for backup?

thanks!

-p

Archived