Bug? Forcing a client to be "reserved"?

I've done this a couple of times and want to know if there's a way around this:

An OSX (current client) machine is getting backed up by Retrospect on OSX (current versions)

The file in question that's backing up is really large (say I notice that somebody is backing up the 800M "The Two Towers" they pirated from kazaa).

I "stop" the backup. Retrospect will indicate a "net retry".

After that times out, if I go to rescan the client (to see if they have any more movies), the "client is reserved".)

The *only* way to unreserve the client is to have the client computer reboot (or, presumably, stop and start the client software).

But I -- as the backup administrator -- can't do a thing on *my* end unless they do that on their end.

So, the problem must be with the client. Is there another way to "unreserve" a client in this case (ie, via the terminal if I ssh into the remote client?)

And is this considered a known client "bug"? Or something that just happens and can't be undone?

- Steve

Quote:

I "stop" the backup. Retrospect will indicate a "net retry".

This has never happened to me, not once, even though I've stopped backups in progress many times.

Is it only if you stop while copying a large file? Is it every single time you stop a backup in progress? Willl it happen on the Compare pass? Or only on the Backup pass...?

You can kill the OS X Client process via the shell:

First use top or ps to find the process ID for pitond.

Then:

"sudo kill <PID>"

You can start pitond from the shell with:

sudo /Applications/Retrospect\ Client/Retrospect\ Client.app/Contents/Resources/pitond &

Dave

this *seems* to only happen when stopping the backup of a large file in progress. In this instance, somebody was backing up an enourmous .mov file.

Frequently, I've stopped the backup on other computers at other times with no problems.

It does seem related to halting the backup of a large file that's in progress, though, as I've had similar problems when I stopped the backup of some large .eps files from another machine. The user had to reboot/reset the client to get seen by the backup server again.

This is just in the "backup" phase. I do not run "compare".

Archived