Cannot use CD-RW disk formatted for Widows Explorer

Toboid

I am running Retrospect 5 on a WIndows XP Professional PC (I installed Retrospect along with a Maxtor 5000DV external hard drive). I want to back up certain key folders to a CD-RW disk as well as to the hard drive. I have set up a backup set to back up certain sub-volumes to the CD-RW drive, but when I put in a CD-RW disk (which has been formatted to be readable in Windows Explorer by Direct CD in Roxio's Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum) and then attempt to run the backup, I get a message saying "Retrospect cannot use your CD-R/RW drive because the currently mounted CD contains items that are in use. To use the drive, unmount the CD in Windows Explorer and open the Device Status Window". I don't know what the last sentence means. How does one Unmount a CD in WIndows Explorer and how does one open the Device Status Window, and if I do these things will this allow me to back up to this CD? I am also wondering whether I should be using an unformatted CD?

Any ideas?

Retrospect is not able to access a CD-R or CD-RW device if an Adaptec DirectCD-formatted disc is in the drive. Eject all DirectCD volumes from the CD-R or CD-RW drive before opening Retrospect.

If you have already formatted the CD-RW disk with Direct CD, the disk will need to be erased with EZ-CD Creator or other CD mastering utility. You can also uninstall Direct CD, which should then allow Retrospect to erase the previously formatted CD-RW disk.

• 4 weeks later...

I do not yet have Retrospect, so I am lurking here to find out Retrospect's capabilities.

Does not Retrospect have the capability of creating a BackUp Set on ANY drive, be it a hard drive or a uUSB external drive or tape or CD-RW?

Cannot Retrospect create a Backup Set as an ordinary file image on a hard drive or CD-RW media?

All hard drives are supported by Retrospect as long as the OS supports them. Hard drives are accessed through the OS and do not require the use of additional drivers. All other supported drive types (CD, Tape, DVD-R, etc.) must be qualified before proper use with Retrospect.

Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported. Some drives do not get qualified ever, and some take 6 months to a year to get support.

If we encouter a problem in the testing process that requires us to rewrite a driver, that can increase the time it takes for a device to be supported.

If we run into a problem and we need to work with the vendor of the drive to help them implement standard packet-writing commands better and/or to write and release drivers, that can increase the time it takes for a device to be supported.

If a company switches out the mechanism of a drive or changes the specs without telling us, it needs to be requalified from scratch, which means one incarnation of a drive may be supported well before others.

For a list of currently qualified devices, please see:

Hardware Search Engine

Lemmee clarify!

I realized that not all devices might be supported.

That should not be a problem for me as I expect to use your product on a system I intend to build.

I was unclear whether you had the ability to have a backup written in an ordinary file.

I have since fould your document 503W that describes the File Backup, Backup Set and Duplicate options.

I did note that the Duplicate option isn't really a "duplicate" as it is stated that registry files (I guess that means the hive files) do not get duplicated.

I did note that the Duplicate option isn't really a "duplicate" as it is stated that registry files (I guess that means the hive files) do not get duplicated

Only in the Express version - Professional and higher do have an option to duplicate the Registry. Hope this helps!

Is there a document that describes the differences between the "Express" and Professional versions?

I've not (yet) seen anyplace offering the Express version for sale, other than by being bundled with a drive by say, Maxtor and Seagate.

Retrospect Express for Windows is no longer available for individual resale, it is only offered with a bundled hardware device.

The Express version has less features and options. Additionally, you cannot backup remote clients, create your own selectors or span multiple removable drives during backup. We don't have product comparison between Express and Professional.

• 2 months later...

Archived