Disaster Recovery Image File Exceeds CD-R Capacity

plb

Hello,

I just did a full backup on a Dell laptop running Windows XP Pro using a Dell (Hitachi) CDRW/DVD drive (24x-12x-24x, external drive with IEEE1394/firewire connection). Used CD-R media. Here is the drive configuration information from Retrospect 6.0 (reflecting that I have loaded the 12/2002 driver update):

HL-DT-ST

RW/DVD GCC-4240N

D110

Hitachi-LG CDRW (1.54)

The backup went fine. Then did a disaster recovery CD image file. It creates an image file just over 849 MB in size, which of course, is larger than any CD-R capacity.

Any suggestions how I can get the image file either to fit in one CD-R or have Retrospect split it into two image files?

Thanks!

Quote:

Any suggestions how I can get the image file either to fit in one CD-R or have Retrospect split it into two image files?

When prompted for the I386 folder (during image creation) use the I386 folder on your Windows installation CD, and not the folder on your hard drive. The folder on your hard drive may be too populated to fit on a standard CD (in addition to the other components added).

Hi Amy,

It worked; thank you. Here are some observations that may be helpful for others in the future.

First, using the XP installation CD reduced the image file to about 580MB, so I was ultimately able to create the recovery CD without a problem.

Had to overcome two roadblocks while doing this: First time, the image file creation failed with an error that atapi.sys couldn't be accessed - error 1120, as I recall. Detail said that the drive wasn't available. It isn't ATAPI, although the only drive not connected at that point was a ZIP250 USB drive - so I closed Retrospect, connected the drive, re-opened Retrospect. That eliminated this roadblock.

Second roadblock: The second time I was doing this (after above failure), Retrospect said it couldn't find the needed file on the WinXP CD-ROM. In browse, I could only select the root (D:\) - no folders/files appeared in the selection window for me to pick the i386 folder. I quit Retrospect, opened Windows Explorer, went to the d:\i386 folder, left explorer open, and re-opened Retrospect. When it got to the installation CD point, it opened right up in d:\i386 and found its needed file. Everything proceeded smoothly from that point on.

Archived