error -108 (not enough memory) in OS X?

I've started getting a "not enough memory error (-108)", but I'm using Jaguar which I thought was supposed to have great memory handling. With RAM in my TiBook maxxed out, I'm sure it's not a physical memory problem. I've tried to increase Retrospect's application memory allocation, but haven't found how to do that yet in the OS X version, and the manuals and Help files refer only to OS 9. Neither the X application package nor the Retrospect application itself include the usual memory adjustment panel. Since neither the OS nor the application seem to be managing memory very well on their own, how can I manually increase Retrospect's memory allocation to handle a large number of file to be backed up? I'd really rather not have to resort to a recycle backup every time.

Thanks,

Dave

I started with a new backup to a new backup file. The backup started very fast, but slowed to less than 25% of the original transfer speed by the time it finished (over 200,000 files). Then when Retrospect tried to perform the next incremental backup automatically, the backup failed and gave the error message in a dialog box as Retrospect quit.

I retried manually and got the error message again. Checking the log, Retrospect says "Can't access catalog for backup set, error -108 (not enough memory)". Looking at the catalog file itself, it is 100.6 Mb. There is still 7.6 Gb available space on the boot drive.

When I look at applications such as Eudora or Acrobat which are identified as Applications, not Classic Applications, they do have Memory panels in their Get Info windows. Perhaps this is a difference between Carbon & Cocao apps?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. The only solution I've found is using only overnight recycle backups that are still not finished in the morning!

Dave

Dave,

- What exactly are you doing?

Are you backing up local files from the TiBooK?

Where are you storing the File Backup file(s)?

At what point in the Execution does the backup fail?

What version of Retrospect?

>Looking at the catalog file itself, it is 100.6 Mb

In a File Backup Set with 200,000 files, Retrospect would have seperated the file into two individual files. One named "yourbackup" and one named "yourbackup.cat" Are both these files present in the same folder? Did you move things between the first backup and the next?

>When I look at applications such as Eudora or Acrobat which are identified as

>Applications, not Classic Applications, they do have Memory panels in their Get Info

>windows. Perhaps this is a difference between Carbon & Cocao apps?

If you drill down to .../Eudora/Contents/MacOS/Eudora and get info on that icon you see the checkbox for "open in classic." The Memory panel is only respected when the program is opened in Classic.

Both Eudora and Acrobat are Carbon apps, same as Retrospect. I have no idea why there is no option to open in Classic, other then Dantz must not want you to do it.

You're going to have to provide more information about your configuration before this is explained.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your help and patience.

- Are you backing up local files from the TiBooK?

I am backing up all files on the 60Gb internal drive, which is divided into 3 partitions.

- Where are you storing the File Backup file(s)?

I am storing them onto an external 48 Gb FireWire Drive. It currently has 21Gb of Retropsect files, with 23.5 Gb remaining free space.

- At what point in the Execution does the backup fail?

Immediately when the backup script begins to run (countdown to execution --> 2 or 3 seconds --> error message).

- What version of Retrospect?

5.0.238, with 5.0 Driver Update ver 3.3.104

- ... Are both these files present in the same folder? Did you move things between the first backup and the next?

They are both present, with nothing having been touched, much less moved.

Would backing up different partitions using separate scripts help at all?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

Archived