EMERGENCY- Please Help Need to Restore

--sorry I'd originally accidently posted this in the OS9 folder...

I've got a serious problem on one of my volumes, so I'd like to restore it from my last backup.

However, due to the nature of the problem, I doubt Retro will able to restore it properly

Here's the POOP:

I have to volumes on PBook will call Vol1 and Vol2.

Vol1 has OSX(10.1.5) and OS9.22 on it

Vol2 has OSX(10.1.5) on it -- this is where I've installed the bulk of my Apps.(MUCH WORK)

Something: set the privelges on Vol2 to:

Owner: "my_user_name" (my actual user name)

Group: "unknown"

Instead of what I assume its supposed to be:

Owner: "system"

Group: "Admin"

I hadn't noticed this, and ran Repair Permissions while booted off Vol1. (or perhaps Repair permissions did this). Anyway, the reason I even noticed this was because I was sudennly unable to print or use Startup Disk to switch boot disks while booted off Vol1. (ie: if I chose vol1 in startup disk while booted off volume 2 and hit restart -- it would ignore my request, and restart using vol2.

I was able to switch the Group to "Admin" using SuperGetInfo. but cannot switch the Vol2's owner to "system". If I could at least do that, Retro might be able to restore the volume. (Heck, who knows - Repair Priveleges -- just might be able to fix the volume.)

ANYONE have any Ideas??? How should I procede.

Lastly, Does anyone have a clue what could have created this problem (so it doesn't get repeated?).

Should it matter: I'm running the lastest version of Retro 5, which (FORTUNATELY) I'd installed on an external drive.

Thanks in Advance,

Alixandra

Quote:

Something: set the privelges on Vol2 to:

Instead of what I assume its supposed to be:

Owner: "system"

Group: "Admin"

I was able to switch the Group to "Admin" using SuperGetInfo. but cannot switch the Vol2's owner to "system". If I could at least do that, Retro might be able to restore the volume.

Did you try just "Get Info" on the volume? I have several volumes and if I select one, Get Info, open "Ownership & Permissions", and then click on the lock I can change both Owner and Group.

My bootable volumes do say system/admin. And note that's admin, not Admin. There is a difference.

If you can't change them there, then I wonder if this isn't just the tip of a bigger problem. However, you could try changing them from the terminal. Note, although Get Info shows the owner as system, the is no such user. In the terminal the owner shows as root, and maybe that was why you were unable to change it with SuperGetInfo. From the terminal:

[kyodai:~] mcswgn% ls -l /Volumes

total 0

drwxrwxr-t 34 root admin 1156 Feb 7 12:10 BackupClient

drwxrwxrwx 30 mcswgn staff 1020 Jan 30 13:15 Laurel

(Laurel is not a boot volume, BackupClient is) To change what actually isn't needed on mine:

[kyodai:~] mcswgn% sudo chown root:admin /Volumes/BackupClient

Compare the first 10 characters on your list of /Volumes to what shows on the line for BackupClient as well. If ownership was changed, permissions may have also.

Original Problem. Something: set the privelges on Vol2 to:

MANY MANY Thanks for the reply. Last night I gave in, erased the Volume then had Retro "Restore Entire Disk."

AMAZINGLY, that did the trick without haven't to reformat both drives.-- (the changes occurred upon rebooting). Lost some files but nothing major. I still haven't a clue what could have caused this to happen. I will hold on to this post - just in case.

>Did you try just "Get Info" on the volume? I have several volumes and if I select one, Get Info, open "Ownership & Permissions", and then click on the lock I can change both Owner and Group.

Tho I did a "Get Info" --Hadn't Heard that you could toggle the lock icon, I'll check it out - see if that works with 10.1.5 -- it's likely nothing would work since it's existing ownership put it low on the food chain.

--THIS was what I begged the Apple Techs to tell me (I had a clue -- but wasn't nervy enough to try without very specific instructions):

[kyodai:~] mcswgn% ls -l /Volumes

total 0

drwxrwxr-t 34 root admin 1156 Feb 7 12:10 BackupClient

drwxrwxrwx 30 mcswgn staff 1020 Jan 30 13:15 Laurel

(Laurel is not a boot volume, BackupClient is) To change what actually isn't needed on mine:

[kyodai:~] mcswgn% sudo chown root:admin /Volumes/BackupClient

Compare the first 10 characters on your list of /Volumes to what shows on the line for BackupClient as well. If ownership was changed, permissions may have also.

Thanks again

xandra

Archived